67 Dart (Frame Rails/Inner Fenders/Radiator Support) Replacement

-

Xela.zue

Reaction score
A few months ago my dad was in a car accident in our 67 Dart. Luckily he's okay and nothing serious happened to him, but the car took some pretty hefty damage. I've posted the story here before and explained how we basically considered letting the car go. The damage just seemed too extensive and out of our wheel house to do ourselves or pay to have done. But after some encouragement from members here, we decided to try and save the car and even scored a donor from which we can harvest basically everything needed.

So... that's where we're currently at. We have a crashed 67 Dart, and a perfectly solid 4-door 68 Dart, which we want to take the passenger frame rail, Passenger inner fender, and the entire radiator support and transfer it to the 67. Or maybe it's just easier to transfer the entire front end to the 67 as one complete unit? Our biggest roadblock is where to start? Both my dad and I are pretty mechanically savvy, but body, chassis, and welding work is beyond us. I'm not afraid to give it a shot but I'm looking for honesty, is the something a metal novice can take on or should keep looking for a shop to tackle this? At the very least, I think we should be able to at least remove the donor parts so we have those off and save money from a shop having to do it. Does that sound reasonable? If so, here's some assumptions and questions I have on how to proceed, please school me on if any of this is right! Thanks

For the 68 Dart Donor car

- Remove the hood and fenders
- Remove the engine (currently a /6)
- Remove pretty much any parts that are bolted to the inner fenders and radiator support.
- Remove wheels and suspension pieces bolted to the frame rails.. (Drums, control arms etc)
- How do I stabilize the car with the front end off the ground? I'm assuming jack stands probably not sturdy enough to keep the car from rocking?
- Spot welds... How to find them all and how many should I expect to have to drill out, hundreds or thousands? As I mentioned earlier, is it best to remove the entire front end as one piece or as individual panels? Inner fenders, Rad support, Left Frame Rail and right Frame rail, etc?

IMG_2552.jpg

IMG_2558.jpg

IMG_2560.jpg

congrats!
I'm jealous!

Only advice I can give you is save EVERYTHING off the 67 and the 68, as in when you remove something remove it carefully, bag and tag and take thousands of photos.

As for order of operations,
I would start by removing the good parts that are in the way, then start removing the bad parts. As you remove the bad parts try to do as little damage as posible to the good.

From my perspective, if a spot welded bad part is to be removed from a good part cut the sheet metal of the bad part away till you are close to the good part then either drill out with the proper drill or grind the spot-weld from the bad sheet metal side. My point is to not turn the good metal into swiss cheese as much as possible.

On the 68 do the reverse, cut the sheet metal close to the parts you want to save. Then remove the remaining metal till the good parts are free.

I think I would take the 68 body parts off in as big a chunk as you can handle. I think he entire front clip as one piece would be a good idea, basically you would cut the firewall, and floor away from the frame rails maybe even leave the tortion bar cross members attached to the frame rails. Then it would be a matter of attaching the good 67 to the good 68.

Lastly do not throw any parts away ( yet)

Others with real world experience will have other ideas so by no means listen only to me.

Also there are lots of videos out there good and bad.

Also, it may not be important to you, but the Shipping Order numbers are stamped on the top of the core support rail and are unique to your car and the 68, these are NOT VIN numbers but match the numbers on your fender tag bottom right. If you want to retain the correct numbers then you must either cut that part of the core support rail out and transfer it over or use the whole piece. Everything else is the same except the holes on the two core support uprights, they changed the pretty much every year and an easy way to people in the know to tell what year the parts came off of.

I would take it to a frame shop first, get it straightened out and then see what will be needed to finish up. I would definitely not just start cutting parts off that you think need to be replaced. Get the cars frame/unibody straight.

I would take it to a frame shop first, get it straightened out and then see what will be needed to finish up. I would definitely not just start cutting parts off that you think need to be replaced. Get the cars frame/unibody straight
I agree but not the frame shop that talked to you about cutting and butt welding the pieces together.

-
Back