Status
Not open for further replies.

nova_mxer

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Hey folks,

I've had my Dart for a year and a half. I took it from a car that had been sitting for years and turned it into a dependable daily driver.

I don't have the time and money to take it to the next step. And while I love the car, it's not the car I really want and I can't have two. I've decided to sell it before I spend more money on it and start looking for the Cutlass convertible I really want.

Things I've done:
  • Added 14" wheels, dog dish hubcaps and radials on it.
  • Installed a new full dual exhaust and had it welded in (in removable sections).
  • Replaced the wiper motor and rebuilt the heater box.
  • Replaced the fuel tank sending unit.
  • Replaced motor mounts and the trans mount.
  • Replaced the battery
  • Replaced the 2 barrel with a reconditioned one
  • Replaced the front shocks
  • Installed air shocks in the rear (and adjusted T-bars) to fix the stance.
  • Adjusted the power steering gearbox to remove excess slack.
  • Replaced the turn signal switch and the dash resistor.
  • Replaced the trunk weather-stripping
  • Cleaned the spare tire well (caught it before it rusted out)
Things it comes with:
  • Front end from a 73 Duster with disc brakes and LBP. (needs rebuilt)
  • rear end from 73 Duster (LBP)
  • original wheels and GT hubcaps
  • Aluminum 4 barrel intake
  • Edelbrock performer 4 barrel carb
  • Orange, vaccuum operated 340 air cleaner assembly off of later Dart
Things it still needs:
  • Figuring out why the fuel gauge and radio don't work
  • Replace the headliner
  • Recover the rear seat (driver seat starting to go too).
  • Paint (or at least spot-paint) soon
It is now a dependable daily driver. My commute is 20 minutes on the interstate and it has no problems.

This would be an excellent starting point for a nice project, or a nice car to preserve as is. It has been repainted before after being rear-ended twice. The floors and trunk are solid with ZERO rust through. There is a shallow dent in the passenger front fender. There is minor surface rust around the window glass that has just started (no holes), and there is surface rust in a couple of places where the paint has flaked off.

I'm not in a hurry to sell. I'll keep driving it and put a sign in the window soon. I thought I would put it up here first, as several FABO members have expressed interest in the past.

Thanks, Don
Falls Church, VA

Attachments

• My Dart.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 991
Hi, I would love some more info/Pictures. Engine/Trans/Rear info etc...

Thanks,
Gerry

X2 on the pics and more drive train info please. How hard was it hit in the rear? I live north of Baltimore & may be interested in this....

It has the original 273 with the two-barrel, along with the 904 trans. The motor runs fine. It goes through oil and trans fluid due to old seals. I add a half quart of oil every other tank of gas or so... I add a half-pint of trans fluid about the same time. The leaks have actually slowed down since I've been driving it regularly.

The trans slips when you start it if you haven't driven it in a day or two. You have to give it more gas to get it going. As soon as it starts moving it's fine from then on. It's like the trans pump loses its prime from sitting. I have put over 2 thousand miles on it with no change, better or worse.

I think the hit in the rear was fairly minor, but it was loooonnnng before I got the car. One of the other FABO members used to work on the car for the previous owner back in the day so maybe he'll respond. I can't see any damage in the trunk area, but the trunk lid gap isn't perfect. I looked at the internal structures and they are fine so it looks like it was just cosmetic in the trunk lid and fender extensions. The trunk lid may just need adjustment. The trunk trim panel is two pieces because they couldn't find one when it was originally hit the second time. If you didn't know it was supposed to be one piece you would never notice it.

I attached a pic I took of the car about a month ago at the Manassas Burger King Cruise-In.

I'll take more pics tomorrow after work. I have a work dinner tonight.

Attachments

• my dart 2.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 895
Seems pretty sweet. Please include under neath pictures of frame & K-frame etc...

Torsion bar mounts are fine. K-Member is fine. The suspension bushings are worn and dry and will need to be replaced. I'll try to grab pics tonight.

This was a one-owner car before my buddy and I got it. According to the registration it only has 75,000 miles on it.

Below is some history I got from another FABO member...

========================================

It had been a one family car till it left Yorktown and Newport News. I first worked on it around 1989 when it was at Mr Fox's body shop in Yorktown. It belonged to a Mr. Tabor who had bought it new from Grafton Garage in 1967. I worked with Mr. Tabor's son and grandson at my day job.

The Dart had been rearended and there was a trunk lid replaced, bumper, and some other stuff. I helped Mr. Fox find the LAST NOS trunk finish panel in Chrysler stock and we put it on the car. Not a year later it was hit again, not as bad but the panel was toast. Mr. Fox cut 2 panels and installed them on the rear.

After Mr. Tabor got too old to drive, Frank the son would drive him around in the car and it gradually became Franks and his sons car. It sat for a couple of years and was at Don's Garage in Newport News for a fuel tank. I helped Don find a replacement tank to get it back on the road.

I had told Frank if he sold it to let me know, but that didn't happen. Another friend of mine tried to get the car also, but it got sold. So I am not sure when it left Tidewater, I am guessing spring or summer of last year. (NOTE: That is when I got it, in 2010)

========================================

Sorry guys, between an insane work schedule recently and a cub scout campout this past weekend, I still haven't gotten the pics.

It'll probably be a couple more days.

I'm not that far from you. I'd like to take a look at it, but would like to see a few more pics 1st.

Hey folks,

Work stayed insane... If anyone is going to Chryslers at Carlisle this weekend, the car is there.

Since the last post, I've had both dash circuit boards and the dash speaker replaced, and the tank sending unit replaced. The dash and radio now work.

My buddy Mike did all of the work for me, most without my knowledge. THANKS MIKE!

I'll be at Carlisle on Friday and Saturday. See ya there!

Don

SOLD, pending pickup! The car is going to Morgantown, WV. The new owner hovered over it at Carlisle but couldn't get the money in time to complete the deal there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back