67 Dart GT Dash Paint or Powder Coat??

-

67dartgt-440

Reaction score
I am fixing up my 1967 dodge Dart GT. I completely removed the entire dash and added a RockyMountainDashes insert. I attached a picture for viewing. What I would like to know is should I have the dash painted with a sprayer or should I have the dash powder coated? I am new to this stuff and would like some input from people who have done this before. Thanks

DSC00207-1.JPG

Nice insert. I put one in my Duster and had it powdercoated black. Looks nice and clean. The powdercoating holds up better to scratches, but paint can give you the flexability of matching colors and touchup when you do scratch it.

Thanks all. Well it set me back about $500.00 and a lot of time to fit it properly. I just got my new autometer Ultra Lite gauges last Friday and mounted all the switches for a final fit and damn it looks good, pricey but well worth it. I had a guy weld the nuts to the inner side of the dash that way i get the same alignment everytime i have to remove it.

Oh BTW, have fun wiring those gages! It took me nearly a case of beer to get that dang dash wired in correctly. On mine, the speedo had to go on the right on account of the steering column braces. The speedo cable nut was hitting them and I had to take the whole thing out and switch the Tac and speedo.

Very nice 67dart- I ran across Rockymontain dashes in my searches, it looks like money well spent. 72dustyer brought up a good point with the paint matching and touch up but I think I`d powder coat, I hear it`s very durable, often used on chassis`s, etc.. Keep the progress pics coming!

72dustyer, thanks for the heads up on the wiring ,the wiring in the car is a mess so I'm gonna re-wire the entire car. The dash harness was in very bad shape so i am making a new one to hook up the gauges. Check out my own custom work, lol. I decided to go with all electric gauges rather than mechanical, not sure if that was a good or bad idea.

briankaplan, i thought of keeping the dash the way it is but it seem to get dirty to easy. I was even going to have it polished then i thought about sun light reflecting off of it - not good.

I should have a pic of the entire dash assembled with gauges and switched sometime over the weekend. You guys take it easy and thanks for all your opinions.

DSC00537-1.JPG

If you like the look of the bare metal you can always shoot a layer of clear on it. gives it a sheen and keeps it clean.

72dustyer, thanks for the heads up on the wiring ,the wiring in the car is a mess so I'm gonna re-wire the entire car. The dash harness was in very bad shape so i am making a new one to hook up the gauges. Check out my own custom work, lol. I decided to go with all electric gauges rather than mechanical, not sure if that was a good or bad idea.

briankaplan, i thought of keeping the dash the way it is but it seem to get dirty to easy. I was even going to have it polished then i thought about sun light reflecting off of it - not good.

I should have a pic of the entire dash assembled with gauges and switched sometime over the weekend. You guys take it easy and thanks for all your opinions.

Hi 67dartgt-440,

Not sure if you are still around, do you have any photos of your RMD dash
finsihed with the gauges installed ? Bet it looks awesome.

How did the wiring go ?

Were the electric gauges harder or easier than you thought ?

What would you do differently now ?

Thanks, John (aka: Moparsky)

Original is paint, sweude finish, easy enough to repaint and dry spray the top coat. Rustoleum rust reformer looks close. SEMs Landau black is nearly perfect on the dash and column collars.
Powdercoat would require a large oven.

-
Back