67 Dart K Frame dramas

-

DAndy ART

dreams becoming reality
Reaction score
Hi there.

I have a 67 Dart that is getting braking, suspension and steering upgraded. I want to fit Wilwoods so I have 73 spindles and a 73 center link. I also have 73 pitman and 73 idler arms to make this happen.

The issue is that the 73 idler arm mounts differently to the K frame (top and bottom bracket, straight bolt) than the 67 idler arm (single tab, tapered hole). What is the suggested answer?

Do I just drill out the tab and hope the single tapered hole lasts/ is safe? (not preferred I imagine)
Do I drill out the tapered hole and fabricate a bottom tab? (thiniking maybe???)
Do I totally remove the single tab and fabricate a new 2 piece bracket onto the K frame?
Do I source a 73 K frame and ship to Oz?
Does the QA1 K frame fit, noting that it only takes the 68-72 idler arm?

Any assistance is appreciated.
Andy from Oz

You need to buy a 73 and up idler and pirman arm. The idler is a far superior design to the one year only 67 arm. The 73 and up arms enter the center link from the opposite side and are needed with your 73 and up center link.

Sorry....I read that wrong. You should probably consider upgrading to the 73 and up K frame. It has a much better idler arm mount, and IMO the superior spool mount engine mounts.

The idler arm mount on the K changed for 68 model up. To cut the 67 clip off and weld on the other clip with 2 holes isn't rocket science. Finding the donor clip might be tough.
Some have fabricated 2 pieces to weld on. A few have fabricated only 1 piece to add below that 67 piece. In this case the height of the arm will be about 1/2 the arm thickness wrong. That's not a steering geometry issue.
I'm thinking you might find a more difficult difference to overcome at the pitman arm to steering gear. That will depend on what steering gear you intend to use. There have been pitman arm designs needed that were never produced.

I have a 67 center link with both arms but the pitman arm is for power steering

Thanks all for your input. I have bought the 73 door bracket at a reasonable price and will weld it on. Hopefully it will all flow after that. I am hoping that there will be no issues re 73 pitman arm and 73 centerlink after that. I will be using a FF stage II box.

The 73-up arms go into the center link from the top and the 72-back go in from the bottom

-
Back