67 dart windshield install pics, step by step

-

64dart170

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Hope this helps someone out.
These are pics showing steps of windshield install on 67 Dart. May take a couple post 20 pics.
Here goes..........................................8)

dart 67 101.jpg

67w1.jpg

67w2.jpg

67w3.jpg

67w4.jpg

67w5.jpg

67w6.jpg

67w7.jpg

67w8.jpg

67w9.jpg

So THAT'S what 67 lock strip looks like! My GT is missing it and the 4dr has the shrunken,peeling remains and NO corners. :( Great write-up!

GREAT PICS!

I need you to come to CA now and do mine! lol

The biggest expence is the lockstrip bout $225.00
I'm thinking the truck has a different profile on the lockstrip.
Here's a pic of cross section of 67 lockstrip.
Check Ferns restore thread for 68 & up style!

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

but isn't your winshield leaking on B.O.F. ???

She was & the dude came out and added sealer, OK now but door seals aren't! LOL!!8)

Fern leaked when I washed her. Still haven't checked from where yet. Sides I thought they all leak!!

what is all the water for?

and is the lockstrip the same thing as the trim? i'im sorta confused.

or does the lockstrip go in and then a separate trim piece on top of that? this is all new to me. so thank you!

what is all the water for?
It was just in the rain in the pics showing the corners.

and is the lockstrip the same thing as the trim? i'im sorta confused.
No it's not. Lockstrip is used as an insert piece that wedges into a channel in the gasket. Like in you're 67 and before. The 68 and up has a "Zipper" in the gasket, meaning there is a rubber flap that is part of the gasket. Once installed, you "tuck" the flap into the channel. (Self locking) Then you take the "Reveal Molding" and push it down onto the clips. This reveil molding is then being held in place by the clips and covers the gap between the gasket and car surface. There are no "Corner" pieces used with reviel moldings due to the corners being part of the moldings. Make sense? See Ferns restore clip named "ABodyBetty's New Baby Comes home" in the members restore section.

or does the lockstrip go in and then a separate trim piece on top of that? this is all new to me. so thank you!
No. It is either 68 and up with a self locking zipper flap or 67 & before with a lockstrip. The 67 is only year with individual corner pieces used. 66 & before would use a 1 piece lockstrip that went all the way around windshield and used a seam cover piece in the center of the lockstrip at bottom of windshield.

See pics!8)

75-89.jpg

75-90.jpg

thanks. thats the only thread that I didn't check out yet. will check that out right now. and again thanks you sooo much for all of your help with this. It makes sense now. I cant exactly picture how the gasket looks without the trim on it. but I think it'll ultimately make the most sense once I get the 68 gasket..

and about the water, I was referring to the soapy water during the winshield install. whats the purpose of that.?

thanks. thats the only thread that I didn't check out yet. will check that out right now. and again thanks you sooo much for all of your help with this. It makes sense now. I cant exactly picture how the gasket looks without the trim on it. but I think it'll ultimately make the most sense once I get the 68 gasket..

and about the water, I was referring to the soapy water during the winshield install. whats the purpose of that.?

On the 67 or others for that matter, the soapy water is used for lubrication when working the gasket around the edge of the glass. It's not like on the back where you put the gasket on the glass, put unit up to hole and use a rope to "snap" install. Take a real good look at the guy installing the glass on the 67.
On the front you will have to place the gasket in the car first, then the glass on the bottom of gasket, then using plastic wedge and soapy water you "work" the gasket around the edge of the glass till the glass finally just pops into the gasket. (If only it were that easy)
Savie?8)

Did you use primer on the pinch welds before applying the urethane in the first stage before applying the glass?

Also etching primer on the inside of the glass so the urethane will adhere?

The above method that I mentioned is the best possible way of installing the front and back glass. You are actually making a aquarium ..... it can't leak!

Did you use primer on the pinch welds before applying the urethane in the first stage before applying the glass?

I had done body work in the lower corners. Anytime I pull glass we have to clean the channel out, sand, fill where it needs, prime, paint, then install windshield.8)
Is that what your asking or is there a special primer thats supposed to be used before sealer?
The 67 was professionally install insurance job. I didn't see him use any "primer".
Matter of fact, I haven't ever seen a glass guy come out and use any primer or etch the glass!!

I had done body work in the lower corners. Anytime I pull glass we have to clean the channel out, sand, fill where it needs, prime, paint, then install windshield.8)
Is that what your asking or is there a special primer thats supposed to be used before sealer?
The 67 was professionally install insurance job. I didn't see him use any "primer".
Matter of fact, I haven't ever seen a glass guy come out and use any primer or etch the glass!!

My friend works at a auto glass shop. He got me a job there not to long ago. I've been working there for about two weeks now and have learned a lot about auto glass.:read2:

It's a special type primer that goes around the pinch welds before the urethane is applied. It takes about 6 minutes to dry. Then there is a special type etching primer that goes on the perimeter on the inside of the glass. It is clear or black. In your case (older cars) it will be black. That takes 6 minutes or so to dry. Other than that it is installed like he installed it. It can be done various ways but the boss insists we do it this way. It suppose to be full proof without leaks. It's more of a modern way of doing it. We did a Chevy II Nova last week.

My friend works at a auto glass shop. He got me a job there not to long ago. I've been working there for about two weeks now and have learned a lot about auto glass.:read2:

It's a special type primer that goes around the pinch welds before the urethane is applied. It takes about 6 minutes to dry. Then there is a special type etching primer that goes on the perimeter on the inside of the glass. It is clear or black. In your case (older cars) it will be black. That takes 6 minutes or so to dry. Other than that it is installed like he installed it. It can be done various ways but the boss insists we do it this way. It suppose to be full proof without leaks. It's more of a modern way of doing it. We did a Chevy II Nova last week.

Cool!
Come to think of it, was it in a can with a fiber ball on the end of a wire under cap? Like glue for plastic pipes. I think I remember him using that!
Next time I'm just going to hire to remove & replace.
The glass shop here will come out remove, then come back some other time to install, $100.00!
I broke the windshield on the 75 removing it. Forgot to undo the zipper before removing glass!Jezz that thing was almost perfect too! I then had to buy a used one for $100.00 with scratches and delam fog! If I would have hired the shop in the first place, I would have saved time, money, and a perfect windshield from 75 factory AC car!!
Man now that's the way to do it, just gotta keep an eye on ya though!!LOL!

Cool!
Come to think of it, was it in a can with a fiber ball on the end of a wire under cap? Like glue for plastic pipes. I think I remember him using that!
Next time I'm just going to hire to remove & replace.
The glass shop here will come out remove, then come back some other time to install, $100.00!
I broke the windshield on the 75 removing it. Forgot to undo the zipper before removing glass!Jezz that thing was almost perfect too! I then had to buy a used one for $100.00 with scratches and delam fog! If I would have hired the shop in the first place, I would have saved time, money, and a perfect windshield from 75 factory AC car!!
Man now that's the way to do it, just gotta keep an eye on ya though!!LOL!

Yep that is the primer. For some reason I was thinking you was doing the work and was showing us how you did it.

I pretty sure that is what we charge is $100... I have seen that price on some of the papers.

Yep that is the primer. For some reason I was thinking you was doing the work and was showing us how you did it.

I pretty sure that is what we charge is $100... I have seen that price on some of the papers.

BOF shown in pics was an insurance job that I really ahd to got nasty about with the insurance company to pay for. Had to have a glass shop. I think the NOS 67 lockstrip for $225 was pissin them off! I have a thread somewhere covering everything onhere somewhere!
I was doing Ferns glass myself this time and popped the front on the last 12" on the top, and it was a great windshield. I ended up hiring the glaas company to reinstall & seal both front and back. If I would have done that at first I would still have a good windshield not the one I have now with foggy delam and wiper stripes in it! 4 door glass almost impossible to find! Especially if you're broke!
Happy Thanksgiving & Mery Christmas!!

Your hired, come on over, cash waiting. LOL

I'll get there pone day, It might take until retirement though.....

Your hired, come on over, cash waiting. LOL

I'll get there pone day, It might take until retirement though.....

HAHA Yeah alot of confusion over the 67 lockstip 1 year only "F" shape, and the 4door & 2 door post same, others not!

I can't stress enought though. It is way worth paying the $100.00 per glass. they come out and remove, you store and do repairs. Then when your done, thae come back out for the install.
What were you up reading very old threads!?? LOL!8)

-
Back