[WANTED] 67 Dodge Dart 2door sedan drivers door glass

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hollander #3208. '67-'68 Dart two door post and '67-'69 Valiant two door post.
"moparmarks" in SW Colorado has a lot of doors for sale. Perhaps he has glass, as well.
Yes, glass is a PITA to market, store, sell and ship. I've only sold perhaps ten pieces in over twenty years of selling. Most want perfection, which used glass will not have.

I never found them that bad to ship, just expensive due to the size. I used to ship hundreds of pieces of auto glass without a problem. I built special glass racks to store them. Shipping was just a matter of using the correct material. It didn't have to be expensive material either. I mostly used recycled flat cardboard boxes and carpet padding. Boxes that bicycles or appliances came in worked the best for me. Most businesses that had those boxes were more than happy to get rid of them as they took up too much room in their dumpster. There was a carpet company close by that had loads of scrap padding. Just tape strips of folded over cardboard along ALL the edges of the glass (especially the corners), wrap the whole thing in padding, and fold cardboard around it. The only ones that were a pain were the curved glasses. I wouldn't ship windshields as they were just to fragile, but, everything else shipped no problem.

Sounds like you have a full blown warehouse. Awesome. And there are probably a lot of local customers in the huge S California classic auto market.
I have to fight the logistical (shipping) problem on nearly every medium to larger item that I have listed.
Simply the distance to potential customers. 900 - 1500 miles to west coast 1200 - 1500 miles to midwest, 2000 - 2400 miles to Penn and Northeast.
Greyhound has been a butt saver, allowing a way to move the bigger stuff, without breaking the bank. However a lot of smaller stations are now closing their in person kiosks, and all ticketing is done on line. Eliminating the package express option at those smaller stations. Now have to transport items 45 miles south to the downtown El Paso station, as the las Cruces station has gone to on line ticketing only.
Yep have plenty of experience in wrapping items. It is much more cost effective to "form fit" packaging to an item, rather that simply dropping it in a huge box, with a lot of empty space, which you will be charged for.
With glass, my experience has been it is hard to sell. Most won't want a piece of used glass. A big reason might be distance from said customer, and the perception of high ship cost. And of course, breakage in transit. Believe as time goes on, more glass is now being reproduced for popular models. Eliminating that market for used glass for popular models.

Last edited:
Been retired for many years now, so, I don't have that inventory anymore. Back then, most of the glass sales were ones where there were no "new" option. Minor scratches can be buffed out. As long as you describe any damage accurately, there should be no surprises. In 32 years of shipping glass, I only recall one piece that got broken in shipping. Tempered glass is pretty tough stuff. It will take all kinds of abuse as long as something hard doesn't hit it on an edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back