67 Engine to 72 Trans Question

-

Dodge72

Odd one out
Reaction score
Guess my engine block is no good, as the cam sprocket was walking against the block surface and I was recommended to fix up a good block rather than possibly have failure down the road rebuilding that.

Okay, so my boyfriend has a 67 Dart with a 225. I have read that this was the last year for the smaller crankshaft pilot hole along with spline differences. Am I still able to use his block with my 904 trans if I swap my 72 crank into the block? Should match up then without having to buy adapters and such. Both are forged crank engines so I'm hoping to avoid trying to source another block. Thank you!

All three options are viable. My personal opinion would be to swap cranks, if rebuilding the engine, anyway. I have not had any luck finding a machine shop that would/could drill the crank pocket, and the crank would have to be removed, anyway. I have several "hybrid" converters, but they are race units, and expensive. I don't know the price range for a "stock" style hybrid converter.

All three options are viable. My personal opinion would be to swap cranks, if rebuilding the engine, anyway. I have not had any luck finding a machine shop that would/could drill the crank pocket, and the crank would have to be removed, anyway. I have several "hybrid" converters, but they are race units, and expensive. I don't know the price range for a "stock" style hybrid converter.
200.00 bucks local price.

You can put a larger snout on an older converter but you cannot fit new style internals 27 spline or whatever into an early 19 spline case.
That's what I was told when I asked yrs ago.
Another time ... using an early crank motor with a lockup 904 I just used a mic and measured another late crank register and ground open the old one till it fit the new convertor..... another time 'teenager' before I had shell/snout swap convertors.... I used fence pipe around the snout of the early to layer crank. I've done this a few time. Must have had 6 225's in my slant days..

200.00 bucks local price.

You can put a larger snout on an older converter but you cannot fit new style internals 27 spline or whatever into an early 19 spline case.

I have several "race" converters with the small (early) snout, and the large (late) spline internals. There are companies that will build them, but a race converter is not cheap. At one time there were several companies that would make stock type converters with the small pilot and large splines, for engine/trans swaps, but most have stopped. Dacco did have them available for under $100, but I don't know if they still do.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Since I'm really not building any race motor have have no need for a higher stall I think I'll be just swapping cranks. I already bought 010" undersized bearings for my own crank and I have everything off my old motor. Just wanted to make sure before I had a bigger headache.

Just a FYI. I spoke to a rep from Trans Depot Inc. They bought Dacco. Was informed that they haven't built the "hybrid" converter for some years. However, with a customer supplied core, they can build them. Approx $140 plus shipping, with an approx 2 week turn around.

Just a FYI. I spoke to a rep from Trans Depot Inc. They bought Dacco. Was informed that they haven't built the "hybrid" converter for some years. However, with a customer supplied core, they can build them. Approx $140 plus shipping, with an approx 2 week turn around.
That's about right When I had mine built 16 years ago it cost around 100 dollars . I used the link I supplied here for Biltron . It's still in service now in my friends car with a 73 slant in a 65 Barracuda with the 2 cable trans

That's about right When I had mine built 16 years ago it cost around 100 dollars . I used the link I supplied here for Biltron . It's still in service now in my friends car with a 73 slant in a 65 Barracuda with the 2 cable trans

Actually, all you needed to do was put an adapter ring in the end of the crank (I sell those) and use the stock 65 trans, and converter. That is a easy conversion. The hard conversion is a late (68 up) trans, behind a early (67 down) slant six or 273 engine. That is where you need the special converter.

Actually, all you needed to do was put an adapter ring in the end of the crank (I sell those) and use the stock 65 trans, and converter. That is a easy conversion. The hard conversion is a late (68 up) trans, behind a early (67 down) slant six or 273 engine. That is where you need the special converter.
Well,this was over 15 years ago and I just did it this way
cause that's what we figured out we could do.

-
Back