67 fastback cuda build

-

grjammer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Going to start a journal type thread here to document build/resto of my new find. The fender tag decodes to a normal build but the V7X code in top line is throwing me a little. Will retain the 383 4bbl and hvy duty 4 spd, love that I found another A53 car. and disc's. My first 67 BB S was all drums. B5 blue with white interior, should be pretty when finished. I don't know what the original wheels look like, code is w21. All codes are legible and have a good pic of tag, will need help!!! Great website and forum here, glad I stumbled in.

Well here are some links to get you started:

Fender tag decoder:
www.stockmopar.com/mopar-fender-tag-decoder.php

Hamtramck Historical:
www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1969/69_Barracuda0017.jpg

Codes:
www.mopar1.us/6971codes.html

www.plymouthbarracuda.net/information/1969-barracuda-production.shtml

Is it a 340 car or a 383 car? Your posts conflict. Post a pic of the fender tag, or e-mail it to me and I will add to the 69 registry, post it and decode it as well. [email protected]

Thanks for links, will be helpful, It is a 383 car. Going today to arrange transportation to get the car home. only a 5 hour drive. I will get some "before" pictures when it arrives. I did get the tag decoded, not sure if I want the black vinyl top back on it but I would love to see some pics of the V7X stripes on a correct 69. I was told the engine was not a matching number, but a period correct block..Oh well...not going to dwell on it..only opens up the build for more modification rather than a factory correct one.

Welcome to the site. Do post some pics of your ride.

As far as wheels all '69 performance Barracudas had 14 x 5.5" steel wheels with either full wheel cover hub caps or dog dish caps. No other wheel options for '69. The standard cars had 14 x 4.5" steel wheels so the wider wheels are unique to the 340, 383, and 440 cars.

I bet it is the 1969 383 car that Don has in Conn. Sounds like the same car....

1969 383 4 speed car. Go through the parts with a fine tooth comb. That can be a great car but it needs quite a bit of work....

Great car, though. Has the codes you are speaking of. If it is not that car I would be surprised. Car has a 72 383 and a swapped auto ATM IIRC.

Yes, it is the car don has, I don't think he is going to take my new offer. After looking at it and the parts I backed out of the original deal, (sorry don)! If it had a number matching block It would already be home though...Im not daunted, I will have a new fish in my 3 car garage sooooon! By the way I am in Coatesville PA, cudacrazy67 was asking.. Although a number matching car isn't a real requirement, its a huge preference.

Just for info, my friend and i looked at both cars and went thru all the parts before these cars came on the market. Made him an offer for everything (not that i need another 383 4spd notch!!!). As we see he still has the stuff!!! He knows nothing about the cars or parts.
Not sure if you guys know but his brother owned the stuff and died unexpectantly. Don thinks he's sitting on a GOLD mine.
Most of the extra parts are junk. As you see the guy had no intentions of ever making a nice retored car out of it.

I looked at that car, don is smoking crack. That car is a mess, rotted frame and so on. I knew Mark good. The worst part of the story Is MarK dislike his brother Don and he ended up with the cars and parts and other stuff.

Took the words outta me mouth ya did, lmao. anywaysssss. I just made a deal on a 67 fish with a 273 auto. Great body. not fond of the red interior, but its very clean. disappointed I cant find a non rusted original formula S bb 4 spd for under 7k, (who's smoking?) lol. This car will make a nice driver. Never played with a small block, always the 383,440's. should be fun.

Posted this in welcome wagon, thought id repost here , Can I change the title of the thread to "no fn way im building that"? lmao,
heres some pics of car im picking up tomorrow to play with

Attachments

• newcuda.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 337
  • 273 HP.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 343
Got it home today, wow what a drive, exhaust leaks made it sound like a POS but ran good. On test drive blew out a power steering line, just removed the belt and armstronged her home. 3-1/2 hour drive so not to bad. first thing in the garage and I lifted the rear bench..had a mouse nest on each side...look at pics..they made a nice home! No luck. broadcast sheet not there.
Looked behind glove box and viola!!! no wait..two small pieces is all that remained, :tongue2:. 273 hp had an elduhblock intake..looks like a 650 holley, probably too much for it. stock exhaust with a cherry bomb. ugh.

List of things wrong.
right headlight inop
no wiring provisions for the front turn lights..wait, wasn't this a 67? yep. looks like a weld job in order to remove and fill, no rears. no bondo so fenders are great. absence of rust on this car is amazing. very little areas just starting, going to stop all of it and por it up good. surprised the rockers were so clean, and only little spots inside one door at the bottom.
gotta get this mill outta her though. all the leaks, must of preserved the frames ..again amazing. great base to start with, going to have to use my 25 years aircraft wiring experience and build a new harness though. hope I can still get contacts for firewall connectors and such, will worry about that when I decide what to do with power train.
motor mounts shot, bump bump
tranny shot, whirrrrrr vibrate shake. shifted hard. maybe kitted, prob just shot 727.
U joints shot, 8 3/4 3.23 was some bunkity bunkity noise shifting in-n-0ut of reverse.
radio original, doesn't work
dash lights don't work
oil press, temp don't work, hence the summit gages under dash
hit 195 degrees in stop and go, but smelled hot oil and grease. mmmmmmm, the memorys of the u-pull its bone yardin every weekend came to mind.
cigarette lighter worked,...
hacked wheelhouse covers for speakers, ya, realistics no joke.
(wheres the 8 track?)
windshield and back window trim in trunk, not usable, seals are correct for high trim and good though
body seals all intact and pliable, must be newer.
dip stick tube broken off in block, (dang) "guess I gotta rebuild her honey!"...:violent1:

front end all there, that's about it, really loose and needs complete redo,
nice sways, missing some bushings but not curbed or anything.
had a minor accident while in storage, someone backed into the headlight surround. seller got an NOS one, cant tell the difference, I have the dinged one in the NOS box. heh

Time to kick the mice out and clean up there doo doo, all over the damn place now.

Attachments

• my nest bigger than your nest.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 347
  • trunk.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 333
  • new garage queen.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 329
  • mice doo doo.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 319
  • broadcast remains so sad.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 363
Nice start. As for the wiring if you can swing some new reproduction wire harnesses from Year One they are exactly like originals and very high quality. Just plug them in and be done with it.

I didn't get the earlier mentioned 68 notch, bought this 67 instead. Notch needed full metal and this needs nothing but mech rebuild and some trim/clean up

Decoded the pieces of broadcast sheet I found under the dash, not original dash to the car for sure, black trim and 6 cyl. is about all I can see for numbers. lmao, will look for other sheets but doubt there are any

Some progress, I pulled the wiring out from the engine bay, going to re-do all of it, and I pulled the seats and carpet to look at the bones. The passenger floor is the only one I'll be doing any repair to, the rest are a clean up and re-seal with only minor surface rust. Passenger floor does have a little daylight showing through, barely enough to require a full floor patch but may just cut back to clean and go from there. carpet is shot, stinks pretty bad too...:tongue2: Going to try and find some decent formed replacement for that. Engine almost ready to pull, getting a pressure washer in a few days and going to degunk everything underneath. Still undecided whether im going to rebuild the teen or put in a pre-smog 360. Guy had one on ebay and put the head casting up, I told him it was a 318 head..lol. someone got the 360's for their teener build I suppose. Would really like to find a manual column and floor shifter brackets if I'm going with the 360. going to stay auto, my first 440 67 was a beast and without connectors it twisted the body into jelly. I actually cracked the trans tunnel on my super bee with the same built 440.. started eating clutch discs every 2 or 3 runs, when I looked to see why I found the pedal pressure to disengage the clutch would move the gap in the tunnel side to side 1/2 inch. caused the clutch to disengage at high torg too many times. b bodys without connectors shouldn't pull the wheels. lol
see ya next time. P.S. it's a 67 fastback 273HP car! not the 68 notch I was going to build

Pics of floors, still a pretty clean car, frame rust is nonexistent caught this one in time!

Attachments

• driver.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 261
  • frt pass.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 264
  • left qtr fix.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 245
  • lft back pass.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 261
  • rdy to pull.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 237
  • rt back pass.jpg