67 Fastback getting 8.8 rear

-
I realize this is an old thread but hoping 67/6barracuda may see this post. Question: when you reinstalled the axle tube after the cut did you drill hole in the tube for a dowel/plug? If so what did you use for the dowel or plug. I them assume you welded the plug and housing together. Thanks.

No I did not drill a hole in the tube, just weld in a plug and then around the axle tube to the housing.

I went a different route pressing the tube back in using a 20ton bottle jack. I placed everything in a bobcat bucket and pressed it in. It kept lifting up on me as I applied pressure. The fix was to wedge the wood blocks between the bucket top, bottom, left and right. It took a lot of time resetting the jack as it only pressed about a 16th at a time then readjusting while adding more blocking. May look crazy but it worked.

View attachment 1715093244 View attachment 1715093243

AMERICAN HOTRODDER !!!

Picked up a 8.8, 3:73 limited slip, disc brake axel assembly today from a local yard. $200.00. Going under my 69 Dart, 383/4 speed (originally a 6 cyl car). Front suspension a coil over from QA1. It’s a work in progress.

49D67392-1BA4-41D6-AC64-F0CDD7A74EFB.jpeg

49D67392-1BA4-41D6-AC64-F0CDD7A74EFB.jpeg

Great stuff here, Denis! How in the world did I miss this? lol

Great stuff here, Denis! How in the world did I miss this?
Rusty this was 6yrs ago, shoot I was living in Florida back then. I have a brand new
trac-loc limited slip to put in just haven’t got around to doing it. I’ve been sold on the 8.8’s from the explorers. 31 spline axles, disk brakes, parts available over the counter. They are cheap if you are patient and watch out for em. Plenty of limited slips out there too with 3:27, 3:55,3:73,410’s love the variety.

Rusty this was 6yrs ago, shoot I was living in Florida back then. I have a brand new
trac-loc limited slip to put in just haven’t got around to doing it. I’ve been sold on the 8.8’s from the explorers. 31 spline axles, disk brakes, parts available over the counter. They are cheap if you are patient and watch out for em. Plenty of limited slips out there too with 3:27, 3:55,3:73,410’s love the variety.
Yeah either they or the 9" is just a slap no brainer. But all these guys holler "Mopar or no car" lol

Yeah either they or the 9" is just a slap no brainer. But all these guys holler "Mopar or no car" lol
Yeah…those that act as a purist are those that have the money to be that way or full of ****. Usually the later in my opinion. None of my cars are nice enough for OEM. I do prefer OEM when applicable with cars that are worthy.

Yeah…those that act as a purist are those that have the money to be that way or full of ****. Usually the later in my opinion. None of my cars are nice enough for OEM. I do prefer OEM when applicable with cars that are worthy.
Those are the ones who always scoff at my Ford 9" suggestion when people ask opinions of which rear axle. It used to bother me and was a source of argument, but now I just chuckle to myself and move on. The 9" is both cheaper to build and stronger than the 8 3/4 and it does not have a following who thinks it's worth its weight in gold. I have still not been able to afford my axles yet, but I've talked to Cass about them, he knows the measurements and what I need. I won't have 850 bucks total in it when I am done. And that will be drum to drum.

Picked up a 8.8, 3:73 limited slip, disc brake axel assembly today from a local yard. $200.00. Going under my 69 Dart, 383/4 speed (originally a 6 cyl car). Front suspension a coil over from QA1. It’s a work in progress.

View attachment 1716108854

View attachment 1716108854
Here's an update on my narrowing the 8.8. Followed the process posted previously by 67/6barracuda. I drilled out the plugs and the final drill size is a 5/8ths. After drilling, I tried a 4 ton porta power ram but it didn't have the power needed to press out the tube....a bought a 10 ton (returned the 4 ton) and it broke the tube loose and was able to remove the tub. I cut the tube to the required length and tried different attempts to press it back in but in the end added tubing to extend the legs and the pressing length to accommodate the axle. One thing I found that is an absolute must is cleaning up the tube end and housing to remove ANYTHING that would appear to be an obstruction (burrs and alike). I did smear a little antiseize compound to help lubricate. The jack size in the press is 12 tons...I don't think anything less would do it. Honestly there were moments when I questioned whether or not this was the best way to narrow the rear....but like anything else when it's done the doubt left. Hope this helps others...

Extended the press legs
Axle3.jpeg

Housing/tube cleaned up prior to pressing in.
Axle2.jpeg

After the press in
Axle 4.jpeg

Before the cut
Axle1281.jpeg

Here's an update on my narrowing the 8.8. Followed the process posted previously by 67/6barracuda. I drilled out the plugs and the final drill size is a 5/8ths. After drilling, I tried a 4 ton porta power ram but it didn't have the power needed to press out the tube....a bought a 10 ton (returned the 4 ton) and it broke the tube loose and was able to remove the tub. I cut the tube to the required length and tried different attempts to press it back in but in the end added tubing to extend the legs and the pressing length to accommodate the axle. One thing I found that is an absolute must is cleaning up the tube end and housing to remove ANYTHING that would appear to be an obstruction (burrs and alike). I did smear a little antiseize compound to help lubricate. The jack size in the press is 12 tons...I don't think anything less would do it. Honestly there were moments when I questioned whether or not this was the best way to narrow the rear....but like anything else when it's done the doubt left. Hope this helps others...

Extended the press legs
View attachment 1716126309
View attachment 1716126308

After the press in
View attachment 1716126307
Before the cut
View attachment 1716126306
Hell yeah man! Looking good, and you did it yourself. Now do it 10 more times and sell em for profit!

Denis, how's your junk progressing? Any updates? Mopar cruise in Sunday at Chevy's Pizza in Gray at 1PM if you want to get out and about.

Denis, how's your junk progressing? Any updates? Mopar cruise in Sunday at Chevy's Pizza in Gray at 1PM if you want to get out and about.
Sounds like a good time, it’s not progressing at all. Car is blown apart. Can’t seem to get motivated in this heat. Glass is out, front end is off the car, I have some rust to fix. Then need to strip the paint and spray the southern poly urethane epoxy primer.

Sounds like a good time, it’s not progressing at all. Car is blown apart. Can’t seem to get motivated in this heat. Glass is out, front end is off the car, I have some rust to fix. Then need to strip the paint and spray the southern poly urethane epoxy primer.
Man you ain't kiddin. I've been doing very little myself.

Extended the press legs
View attachment 1716126309
View attachment 1716126308

After the press in
View attachment 1716126307
Before the cut
View attachment 1716126306
That’s awesome! What I love about the 8.8 is there cheap, strong, and parts availability anywhere. I’m eventually adding 5:13 gears to mine with the trac-loc I have. Then go burn a complete set of tires off and putt it in my sons yj jeep cause that 4 cylinder in it needs all the help it can get. I now have a 83/4 and d60 to think about using in my car.

-
Back