67 magnum

-
:banghead: I forgot I didn't have a pan gasket, so the trans/engine didn't get in tonight. But I did pick up the trans mount! anyway, heres a few pics of the Dakota;

It snowed the night before so my nephew and I had a good time beating on it before we got it back to the house.

and the mount...its GM, but I figured with the ford rear end you all could look past the GM mount.....

well tonight had its highs and lows.

Highs;
Got the oil pick up tube modded to fit the center sump pan, and modded the pan to work with the magnum block;
what I started with;

what I ended with

pan;

and now for the lows;
I found out the engine mount brackets I have are incorrect.

They are way too far off. The engine in this picture is sitting on the driver side mount and is almost 5 inches off the passenger side. I did not take a pic of the mounts before putting them on, I will pull the motor tomorrow and re-evaluate. =(

After lots of running around getting different motor mount brackets I finally ended up with a pair that works! The engine is in! The trans fits nicely, and I got started on the cross member. My plasma cutter decided to give me fits so I didn't get as far as I had wanted. But a step forward is a step forward!

And the start of the cross member VERY rough start

I Should have the cross member all done on new years day (no work) And then move onto the running wiring and figuring out other stuff.

I didn't get anything done on the car the last few days. But I did get the Dakota completely stripped and loaded up to take in for scrap. literally not ONE piece of wire remained. I took EVERYTHING. So wiring should be pretty straight forward in the valiant.

had a few hours out in the shop today, decided where to mount the heater box and body control module.

I also laid out SOME of the wiring for the body.

Thursday I hope to have the heater control mounted into the dash similar to this

That was all for today. maybe more tomorrow if not it will be Thursday before an update.

had a few hours out in the shop today, decided where to mount the heater box and body control module.

I also laid out SOME of the wiring for the body.

Thursday I hope to have the heater control mounted into the dash similar to this

" That was all for today. maybe more tomorrow if not it will be Thursday before an update. "
Sweetneess... "Even just 20 minutes a day, adds up...} A good comment from a old school hot rodder / land lord. It adds up.....

Every little bit counts!

tonight I got the hvac controls set into the dash how I wanted it.

tomorrow night I hope to do the same with the instrument cluster.

well I didn't get nearly as much done as I would have liked this weekend. I will make up some time this week!

I took out the ash tray and fitted the radio hole. it looked like the previous owner used a hammer and screw driver to fit the radio.

The instrument cluster is just mocked into place currently. It will take a bit of work to make look good. Its a touch too deep to fall far into the dash and still have room for wiring and steering wheel support.

I hope to be past that tomorrow and then fit the pedals and steering wheel.

Can anyone tell me whats the difference between the 67 and 68-73 rear window seals.

Only thing I can find is the 67 has the cut or inlet for the ugly chrome stips. I would prefer not to put them back in? Can I use any rear window seal for a valiant sedan?

Thanks to SedanMan I now have a windshield, rear seat frame, and headliner bows (the correct ones)

This weekend I got the instrument cluster fitted, got the fresh air inlet made to the heater box, got the steering column mounted, and the lower bulk head seal/mount made, also cleaned up the wiring harness and soldered in the remote start/keyless entry crap. Got the wiring harness fitted to the dash and stripped some of the wires I didn't need.

The last few days ive gotten the dash wiring laid in, a/c duct work done, modified the radiator support for the taller Dakota radiator, and lots of odds and ends. This week I plan on having the engine compartment all put together.

Nice craftsman ship.. I like this build, just something different.

thank you. Its all coming together quite well so far. Should make a REALLY nice cruiser. (better be I plan on taking a 7k mile trip with it in august)

August in Cali, lots of good car shows. At a minimum, I would drive Highway 1 from San Francisco down, if possible. It's breathtaking.

I also got really lucky! As many of you know the windshields for the valiant are not easy to come by and when you can they are expensive 300+ and shipping+insurance. One of my racing buddies owns a glass company. He searched high and low, calling all his suppliers with no luck. Last week one of them called him back and told him one of their suppliers had a old stock one in the back of a warehouse. about 2 weeks later it showed up! Then by some odd luck theres a 74 valiant in the junk yard with a good A/C (tinted) glass!. So now I have 3 windshields to choose from.

August in Cali, lots of good car shows. At a minimum, I would drive Highway 1 from San Francisco down, if possible. It's breathtaking.

Theres a large show in alberta in august id like to check out, then maybe drive across Canada and come back into the states and take a trip down highway 1 to san fran, then head back across i80 to the mountains. It would be a pretty fun ride in an old mopar!

Theres a large show in alberta in august id like to check out, then maybe drive across Canada and come back into the states and take a trip down highway 1 to san fran, then head back across i80 to the mountains. It would be a pretty fun ride in an old mopar!

Go, get it.... Makes the damn build, worthwhile.

well been a while since I posted picture updates so here we go

this is my HVAC box header....I mean air distributor.

This is testing the HVAC system.

Here is the start of working under the hood

here is where I left off this evening, fuse box fitted, wiring harness laid out in the correct areas, and somewhat organized

pic of the dash just because

so been a while since I updated. Ive acquired most of my seals and gaskets except the window felt tracks. the channel where the window rides. Where can I get these?

The car now has power windows and locks, the doors are stripped down and ready to go to paint. Next will be pulling the engine/trans back out and finishing up the metal work on the bulkhead. Then the shell will be off to paint!

-
Back