67 plymouth barracuda fastback 273/727

-

paulh70

Reaction score
I have had this car for twenty years, it hasn't been on the road in fifteen, It hasn't always been easy to hold on to this car or find places to keep it. but i managed to do it. Today is the first day of my rebuild of this car.Not sure where this project is going to lead me, so many choices on what to do do i keep it original ( its numbers matching) or do i go resto/mod and if i do what should I do. I open to suggestion. Thanks I'm glad i found this forum.

Welcome,Same boat asyou.What do you want?speed?,looks,reliability?.Set are 3 commons,your skill,your pocketbook,and are you willing to get dirty?(This one,offsets the other two,by a crazy amount!)

I want all three I think I want it to look stock on the outside, I'm not going to race, but I want to go fast when i can, I'm a novice but I've done plenty of basic jobs I've done brake jobs, replaced clutches, general stuff like that and I like getting dirty. The budget is 10,000 to start and then figure it from there a couple of grand at a time maybe 20,000 when i'm done

I've always built my cars to please me,never really cared what anyone else thought about it. I've had some really rare cars and some that were common as dirt but the thing they all had in common was I built them how I wanted so I could get the most entertainment out of them. The last car I built (just for myself)was a 1971 Challenger conv. I bought it from the original owner and it was a 318 car with a 904 and 7 1/4 rear. I put in a 340 and 727 with a 3.55 posi and I found a AAR Cuda in a junkyard and took all of the suspension and sway bars and re-did it all with poly bushings. Changed to front disc and 11x3 drums on rear.Changed to a firm feel steering box.On the inside I got a bench seat out of a Cuda and had it upholstered in Challenger pattern and I left it with the standard cluster and auto on the column.Put in a factory AM/FM. Painted it back deep forest green metalic and put on a T/A hood and a Go Wing. Put on some 15x7 rallies.Every time I had it anywher I had people walk by and say "thats not a 340 car" or "this and that are not original" but then I had a million other people walk by and say "cool car" and I had guys in new Vettes and Mustangs and even a viper give me the thumbs up when they blew by.It wasnt super quick but it wasnt slow either.It averaged about 17 mpg and was a blast to drive but the most important thing was that it made me happy. Thats what you should do with your car,decide what it is that you want to do with it and build it however it makes you happy.

Done deal!Look at Tonys for ideas,judge accordingly!(lol)!

I am definatley going to build it to suit me I'm just not sure what that is I know it will look original from the outside, i'm just not sure what to do with engine, Like i said I'm not going to race I'm just going to drive it when its nice and go fast when the law ain't lookin. I'm sure i can do that with a 273 but if i rebuild it do you have any suggestions for upgrades and I see a lot people talking about reinforcing the torsion bar sockets and putting in subframe connectors Whats neccasary to have a safe car

If you like the "stock" look of your car, there are many things you can do, performance wise, and have it still appear stock. You coud do engine swap, and save the 273 for a latter rebuild. Upgrade your brakes and suspension as well. After you've had your "fun" with it, you could always return it back to "stock".
BTW, welcome aboard form the mitten state!

thanks, I've thought of things you have mentioned but I'd like to know what other guys are running in thiers what engines and rear ends they have used and what kind of upgrades to the suspension can I do, i'm lookin for pros and cons on just about everything to help me make my decisions

273 and 727 ? Strange. A 904 is more common and prefered by most. 904 gets the power to the road a lot better. That's my experience at least.

You can upgrade your rear suspension with H.D., X H.D., or even S.S. springs. Add an 8-3/4" sure-grip rear end, with some type of gear (3.23, 3.73, 3.91, etc., etc.), and you'll have a pretty stout set-up.
Front suspension should be o.k. You could add a front sway bar, change over to the large bolt pattern, and disk brakes.
You can use any LA small block for a swap, 318, 340, or a 360. All have more torque and H.P. than the original 273's did, and they like to run wide open as well! The 273, 318 and 340 even share the same stroke (3.31"), and rod length (6.123"). Alot of the components will swap between those three engines (fuel pump, P/S, A/C, etc.), without any modifications.
Your trans is fine. Maybe freshen it up when you are ready to do your engine swap. Maybe even a new torque converter to go with the cam your going to get and install!!
Watch for ads for used components (BBP disk brake setup, springs, engines, rear ends, etc.), to do your build with. This will keep the costs down. Some things you will want/need, to buy brand new.
You are doing the right thing by asking questions here. That is what this site is all about. I'm sure other members will chime in with their opinions as well. Take all of them into consideration on your build.
I am currently building a 340 to take the place of the 273, then the rest of the drive train will be updated/upgraded, when the money will allow for it. The 904 will be rebuilt, new torqure converter, and an 8-3/4" sure grip with 3.91 gears as well.

BTW, the car in my sig, is mostly an original '67, with the origianl 273, A/C, 904 trans, and 7-1/4" rear end. I've replaced the complete fuel system, added dual exhaust, aluminum rad., electronic ignition conversion, mild cam, S.S. springs, and rebuilt the front end suspension. Everything you "see" in the pic are simple bolt-ons, that really changed the way the car looks. Good luck and keep us posted. Feel free to PM me about anything you have questions about.
Steve~

Thanks, thats exactly the kind of reply i was looking for I want know what other people have done to theirs so i can figure mine out, I was told when i got the car twenty years ago that the tranny was a 727 did the 904 come stock in the 67 ? I could have bad info I have never ran the numbers to see exactly what it is.

The easy way to tell is look at the trans pan, if it looks like a square with a corner cut off its a 904. If it has a little peninsula coming off a corner its a 727.

Attachments

• 727904gasket.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 134
In 67, most all of the /6 & small block cars, came with the 904. I personally have seen a 727 in one that came from the factory, with a 8-1/4" sure grip rear end. They could order it anyway they wanted back then. This car also had come with the H.D. suspension package. I guess it could have been ordered for trailer towing purposes?

-
Back