67 tach send out? Or can i fix?

-

clementine

Flight risk
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hellooooo FABO!!
1967 barracuda tach. Sold as "working". Not so much. Hooked up a spare tach to original slant six car to make sure i had a good signal to duplicate (has a coil/factory type setup. Then tested this tach in the same manner.

The barracuda (the car this will end up in) has holley coil/ign box at this point which might be a factor.

I am under the impression that 67 was one year for some components and this tach runs off 12V???

So i have to question my testing methods.

What would FABO do?

Thanks in advance. (I hope you feel special that i took the time to spell that out.....old school)

20221017_125736.jpg

20221017_125747.jpg

Last edited:
Hellooooo FABO!!
1967 barracuda tach. Sold as "working". Not so much. Hooked up a spare tach to original slant six car to make sure i had a good signal to duplicate (has a coil/factory type setup. Then tested this tach in the same manner.

The barracuda (the car this will end up in) has holley coil/ign box at this point which might be a factor.

I am under the impression that 67 was one year for some components and this tach runs off 12V???

So i have to question my testing methods.

What would FABO do?

Thanks in advance. (I hope you feel special that i took the time to spell that out.....old school)

View attachment 1715999429

View attachment 1715999430
If this is a stock tachometer and hasn't been upgraded to use electronic ignition, it wont work.
Premium Dash Decals, Mr Heater Box and Classic industries carry the proper circuit board for electronic ignition. Its simple to install.

To test it outside the car you need 3 long test leads with alligator clips on each end. Hook the positive to the + terminal on the tach and the positive on the battery, Negative from the tack housing to battery negative. last lead goes from negative of coil to the terminal with the spade connector. See below.

Hope this helps!!

1666042125450.png

If this is a stock tachometer and hasn't been upgraded to use electronic ignition, it wont work.
Premium Dash Decals, Mr Heater Box and Classic industries carry the proper circuit board for electronic ignition. Its simple to install.

To test it outside the car you need 3 long test leads with alligator clips on each end. Hook the positive to the + terminal on the tach and the positive on the battery, Negative from the tack housing to battery negative. last lead goes from negative of coil to the terminal with the spade connector. See below.

Hope this helps!!

View attachment 1715999450
Yes!!!
This is the test that I did on the slant car on the tach. It did not fire/move the needle.

If the unit does not work with the slants (72 duster) signal, maybe by converting it I would have the opportunity to get it apart and look around in there for a culprit while doing so.

Ill look around for the electronic upgrade.

Thanks AAndrews!!

Is it a 6 cyl tach?

If it's an 8 cyl tach my guess is it would work just not read right.

But don't know for sure.

Is it a 6 cyl tach?

If it's an 8 cyl tach my guess is it would work just not read right.

But don't know for sure.
Looks like if Im running an electronic (MSD Style) ignition, I have to upgrade the internals. I have the holley sniper system with the hyperspark and ignition box. Getting the PDD105 from Premium Dash Decals up there in da great white north aye?

Screenshot (16).png

I bought one of these replacement tach boards from RTE engineering.
I installed it myself and it works great.
I probably did it ten years ago, so I don’t have any recent experience with their products.

RTE 67-74 Tach kit - rte

Is it a 6 cyl tach?
I dont think it is a 6 cyl tach. I just was testing it on a slant to see if the darn needle would move. it did not. So it looks like all the gizmos will be replaced with this "upgrade" and Ill be gucci after that..........best laid plans.....if it still isnt working then Ill know its further forward in the gauge.

it may seems like Im throwing parts at it, but the "upgrade" is necessary either way.
I bought one of these replacement tach boards from RTE engineering.
I installed it myself and it works great.
I probably did it ten years ago, so I don’t have any recent experience with their products.

RTE 67-74 Tach kit - rte
SONOFA.....coulda saved myself some dollars. Oh well, I ordered the one from PDD. The one you got certainly looks a bit more "digital". i have an RTE voltage limiter I have yet to install as well. Im still searching for the hack on here that doesnt require removing the guts from the fuel gauge. I cant for the life of me remember who bypassed it without removing gauge.......I couldve been dreamin

These tachs are for points ignition only. I don't think they were offered on 6cyl cars.
yes they are for points only, but.....

apparently the guts are replaced to adapt for MSD type electronic ignition (non factory). RTE sells a kit and I have one on the way from Premium Dash Decals. The RTE one looks a bit more electronic in my opinion, Im staying positive that I ordered the correct kit.

yes they are for points only, but.....

apparently the guts are replaced to adapt for MSD type electronic ignition (non factory). RTE sells a kit and I have one on the way from Premium Dash Decals. The RTE one looks a bit more electronic in my opinion, Im staying positive that I ordered the correct kit.
Call Brian at PPD , same company as Mr HeaterBox.

1-613-532-2587

Tell him what you are doing. He'll fix you up.

I've dealt with him numerous times.

Great service!!

Bypassing the OEM mechanical limiter is simple but.... this isn't the correct thread for that. PM me and I'll tell you what change is required.

Yes!!!
This is the test that I did on the slant car on the tach. It did not fire/move the needle.

If the unit does not work with the slants (72 duster) signal, maybe by converting it I would have the opportunity to get it apart and look around in there for a culprit while doing so.

Ill look around for the electronic upgrade.

Thanks AAndrews!!

If you are going to try and troubleshoot it, Check the two resistors on the bottom right corner of the circuit board as displayed in this picture. You will see the white wire leading to one of them.
I've repaired this board a couple of times, same issue with these components being fried both times.
After replacing, tach worked perfect!

1666113099508.png

When I was at PDD, they showed me a capacitor that was "swollen", they said they are quite common to fail.
67 tachs are slightly different on the inside vs others. I think it's to do with the "standoffs" inside.

Last edited:
Put the unit in from premium dash decals. You are correct @4spdragtop the stand off studs needed to be modified. I used some 8/32 screws, cut the heads off and used brake line nubs for spacers. Ill report back after testing.

Andre says "hi"

20230122_134522.jpg

20230122_134847.jpg

20230123_123119.jpg

I've repaired this board a couple of times, same issue with these components being fried both times
If resisters fry try going with a higher wattage resister. e.g. if that are 1/4 watt use 1/2watt

If resisters fry try going with a higher wattage resister. e.g. if that are 1/4 watt use 1/2watt
Actually, to be exact, I was responsible for frying the resistors both times. I was bumping the engine over at the solenoid and "spiked " the electronics in the car. The circuit board was designed with 1/4 watt resistors so thats what I replaced them with.
Now that I know what happened, I have an inline plug with the Tach wiring that I can unplug when I'm working on the car if I wish. Problem solved. No issues with the Tach since.

Last edited:
Andre is a great looking hound, say hi back and hello from Piper. This is the "before" pic, on way to Paw Spa.
Yes, I'm ashamed to admit that when we pulled the 67 tach apart I didnt pay close attn, and got them to install new board while we waited.
The tach may need to be calibrated once installed. I believe the upgraded board is for elec ign in general, not MSD or any mfg in general.
Lookin' good!
Put the unit in from premium dash decals. You are correct @4spdragtop the stand off studs needed to be modified. I used some 8/32 screws, cut the heads off and used brake line nubs for spacers. Ill report back after testing.

Andre says "hi"

View attachment 1716038910

View attachment 1716038911

View attachment 1716038913

20230124_100708.jpg

My mom and dad had a pekinese in the 50s. One day my dad shaved her to the skin! She was one odd looking dog with no hair.

-
Back