67 to 68 Dart tail light retrofit...

-

68-GTS

Super " Senior " Member
Reaction score
Whats involved... is this major surgery or a pretty simple retro?
Before and after pics would be nice...

Whats involved... is this major surgery or a pretty simple retro?
Before and after pics would be nice...

Wouldn't it be easier to ask what the differences is in the quarter panel. I really think it is a direct bolt in but I am far more Barracuda than Dart knowledgable.

Wouldn't it be easier to ask what the differences is in the quarter panel. I really think it is a direct bolt in but I am far more Barracuda than Dart knowledgable.

I know their not a direct bolt on thats why i asked about the "surgery" and if anyone had pics of it.

I had 68 tailights in my 67 and went to put 67's back on it and the studs in the 67 buckets were not long enough( they could have been changed ) but it apeared thet the holes lined up but the 68 buckets were deeper.Checked another 67 and they both looked the same just different depth on the buckets and or lenght studs

I had 68 tailights in my 67 and went to put 67's back on it and the studs in the 67 buckets were not long enough( they could have been changed ) but it apeared thet the holes lined up but the 68 buckets were deeper.Checked another 67 and they both looked the same just different depth on the buckets and or lenght studs

Hey Lycandart, I have a daughter that lives in St. James.

O ya.. Not a bad place, I dont know many people around there anymore...

The previous owner of my Dart put 68 tail lights into it. I have never taken it apart to examine what was done to the car to make it fit though.

It took a big hammer some cussin and finessin.The buckets on the 67 are a little smaller.It looks like a bolt in but it not.By the way,Dan and I love what youve done with his old Dart.Very nice.Denny

It took a big hammer some cussin and finessin.

I don't know about that?!? The inside of the trunk isn't all mangled like it's been pounded on or chewed on by a sawzall. Looks fine from the outside?

IMG_6700.jpg

I didnt think you knew who I was.Seeing the picture of the Dart on the trailer in front of my house in Colby brought back some memories.I didnt tear anything up bad but had to massage the bucket to get them to fit.I had assumed they were a direct bolt in.Denny

I've got some 69 buckets-- anyone have the others-- we can compare those at least!! Lawrence

Brian-- never paid attention-- your car is a 1967? nice looking ride.
Denny how is the duster coming along? He is still trying to sell the big block parts.
Either of you come to Wichita for the Black Top Nationals(ford fest!)
Been a little wet so I didn't venture out yet. !!-

He is going to have those big block parts for a while.He is just unreasonable for what he has.I am mostly just collecting parts for the Duster.I bought the 72 Valiant for a parts car but Im enjoying driving it,so Im not shure if Ill part it or not.I picked up a complete 8 3/4 b-body rear but its not going to work with the offset of my Keystones.Didnt make it down for the show,maybe next year.Did you list your Valiant on Craigslist?I thought I saw it on there.

I don't know about that?!? The inside of the trunk isn't all mangled like it's been pounded on or chewed on by a sawzall. Looks fine from the outside?

IMG_6700.jpg

Any chance you could snap a couple of pics of the inside that might help some.
No need to take them out i wouldn't ask anyone to do that. I was just hoping that someone might be in the process of doing one at this time and might be able to shed some light on the subject and a few pics.

Thanks in advance BrianT

Anyone know what years that trunk trim panel came on?
I want one for my 69.

I didnt think you knew who I was.

I didn't know who you were until just now!! I lost your email a long time ago, and had no way to reach you.

Yes, we've been doing some work to the Dart over the last seven years. PM sent.

Any chance you could snap a couple of pics of the inside that might help some.
I'll be working in the garage tomorrow. I'll try to remember to snap some pics.

Anyone know what years that trunk trim panel came on?
I want one for my 69.

If you're talking about mine, it's a 68 tail panel, painted up GTS style.

i had a 67 dart made it into a 68 gts clone.. i never thought about the tail lamps not fitting until i was ready to put the car back together i never took any pics.. and that was in 2002.. but.. i do know how i did it.. i cut about 2 inches out of the back of the light and made it work.. it wasn't that hard.. So the short story is it worked great.. the long version is.... i had to cut the light apart.. take about 2"of the light part out(where it was rounded) then put it back together..

i had a 67 dart made it into a 68 gts clone.. i never thought about the tail lamps not fitting until i was ready to put the car back together i never took any pics.. and that was in 2002.. but.. i do know how i did it.. i cut about 2 inches out of the back of the light and made it work.. it wasn't that hard.. So the short story is it worked great.. the long version is.... i had to cut the light apart.. take about 2"of the light part out(where it was rounded) then put it back together..

That sounds like a great idea.... i mulled that over but really couldn't think of a way to reattach the two halves. Next question is what did you do to reattach the two halves. I'm assuming you either used a chop saw or hack saw to cut the 2" off ?
BTW thanks for the info... GREATLY APPRECIATE IT

IMG_6700.jpg

I see you kept the 67 rear bumper.... Do you have both sets of reverse lights hooked up ?

well the mrs reminded me that i actually did 2 of these cars.. the first one i cut.. and re attatched.. the second car.. i sent her into the trunk with a die grinder to grind away some of the housing on the car. both went well.. at least i didnt lock her in the trunk

well the mrs reminded me that i actually did 2 of these cars.. the first one i cut.. and re attatched.. the second car.. i sent her into the trunk with a die grinder to grind away some of the housing on the car. both went well.. at least i didnt lock her in the trunk

Gotta love them Mrs... Sometime they are our extra brain sometimes our extra pair of hands.

Might I asked what you used to cut the housings and how you reattached them ?
Or wait.... Maybe I should talk to the Mrs.... Haha just kiddin :p

-
Back