67cuda conv tail panel resto question

-

nrubino

Reaction score
Im trying to restore the tail panel on the trunk lid between the tail lights on my 67 cuda conv.

Is the middle, textured part, polished or painted with silver paint?

Thanks for your help.

Nick

I believe they are painted argent, but don't quote me. I have also seen some that were black (including the tail light pieces). I cannot comment on whether any of those were factory, but they sure looked like it.

The texture stamping in that panel didn't match the texture cast in the tail lamp bezels.
When polished that tail panel would blind the driver in following vehicles too ( refecting their headlights).
Tail panel and tail lamp bezels were painted the same argent paint found on grilles, hood bezels, etc..
Please note... Some have ( not so successfully ) removed the script to repaint that panel and tossed the script later on down the road.
Even worse scenario is to polish the panel, get a warning ticket for it, and loose the script.

Not only the texture (which is understandable, because they are different kinds of metal), but the paint color on the taillight centers often didn't match the decklid panel. Usually, the taillight centers appear darker, more like the later "dark argent" paint. Obviously, to look good, they should match, but it seems like the parts suppliers screwed this up back in the day. To me, it looks better when there is a little more contrast between the polished edges and the textured centers; that is, when the argent paint is darker. I am tempted to add a little black when I refresh my tail panel.

-
Back