Not open for further replies.

jimharvard

JimHarvard
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Contact seller
i am looking for an original 1968 camshaft used in a 340 car with a 4 speed. the parts number is: 2899205

this must be the OEM Chrysler camshaft AND the 4 speed shaft - NOT the one for an automatic!

if you have one of these or know someone who does, please contact me here on FABO.

thanks..
jim coster
pittsburgh, pa

Jim, I worked with another member here to get a repro done through Ken Heard at Oregon Cams...

I have custom ground cams I bought from another member who had the stock auto and 4 speed cams ground by a custom grinder. I sent them to Oregon Cams and he measured them.

The 4 speed cam came out to have the intake lobe 4° off the original, but Ken was able to bump the lobe to put it back to the original position. The new cam available is only .006" less intake lift than the stock advertised specs, but the rest match perfectly... Ken Heard can make more of them now for anyone who wants one...

Contact @dibbons (forum member) or Ken Heard at Oregon Cams for information on the cam he had made off of mine.

Cam Grinding, Camshafts, Racing & Performance Equipment

Last edited:
Jim, I worked with another member here to get a repro done through Ken Heard at Oregon Cams...

I have custom ground cams I bought from another member who had the stock auto and 4 speed cams ground by a custom grinder. I sent them to Oregon Cams and he measured them.

The 4 speed cam came out to have the intake lobe 4° off the original, but Ken was able to bump the lobe to put it back to the original position. The new cam available is only .006" less intake lift than the stock advertised specs, but the rest match perfectly... Ken Heard can make more of them now for anyone who wants one...

Contact @dibbons (forum member) or Ken Heard at Oregon Cams for information on the cam he had made off of mine.

Cam Grinding, Camshafts, Racing & Performance Equipment

thanks for the info... i'll see what i can find out from ken this week...

but if anyone out in FABO land does have a 68 340 4sp cam, i'd still like to buy it...

thanks for the info... i'll see what i can find out from ken this week...

but if anyone out in FABO land does have a 68 340 4sp cam, i'd still like to buy it...

Jim--I have one--I think! It came from a 340 that was in a '68 Dart. Although I ran that motor with a 4-speed in my '66 Valiant, I didn't see the car it came out of, so I am not 100% sure the Dart was a 4-speed car. I replaced the cam when I built the 340 in 1975, and it has been sitting idle since then. Unfortunately, it has some rust on it, as you can see. For that reason, and because I can't guarantee that it is the 4-speed spec cam, I wouldn't be comfortable selling it. However, I will be happy to send it to you if you will cover the shipping cost.

20170309_214542.jpg

Jim--I have one--I think! It came from a 340 that was in a '68 Dart. Although I ran that motor with a 4-speed in my '66 Valiant, I didn't see the car it came out of, so I am not 100% sure the Dart was a 4-speed car. I replaced the cam when I built the 340 in 1975, and it has been sitting idle since then. Unfortunately, it has some rust on it, as you can see. For that reason, and because I can't guarantee that it is the 4-speed spec cam, I wouldn't be comfortable selling it. However, I will be happy to send it to you if you will cover the shipping cost.

View attachment 1715026360

hey mr. cuda340...

thank you for your reply. yes, i'll be happy to get this cam.

but i don't really feel right getting this cam for $0 and then you going through all the trouble of packing and shipping it.

so how about i give you $50.00 for this cam plus the shipping? if this isn't the original 4 speed cam and i have to have one custom made, the two shops i've looked at need a "core" cam to "regrind" if you ask for a custom one.

my address is:

Jim Coster
1108 Peachtree Road
Carnegie, PA 15106

412-498-4317

email: [email protected]

hey mr. cuda340...

thank you for your reply. yes, i'll be happy to get this cam.

but i don't really feel right getting this cam for $0 and then you going through all the trouble of packing and shipping it.

so how about i give you $50.00 for this cam plus the shipping? if this isn't the original 4 speed cam and i have to have one custom made, the two shops i've looked at need a "core" cam to "regrind" if you ask for a custom one.

my address is:

Jim Coster
1108 Peachtree Road
Carnegie, PA 15106

412-498-4317

email: [email protected]
How about this: I'll send you the cam so you can check it out; after all, it has been dormant for 42 years. If you can use it, I will take the money if you insist. However, if that is your picture in that uniform, it would be my honor to give it to you. My nephew (Annapolis 2007) just arrived home today from Bahrain, finishing his 10 years, so the timing is meaningful to me.

How about this: I'll send you the cam so you can check it out; after all, it has been dormant for 42 years. If you can use it, I will take the money if you insist. However, if that is your picture in that uniform, it would be my honor to give it to you. My nephew (Annapolis 2007) just arrived home today from Bahrain, finishing his 10 years, so the timing is meaningful to me.

mr. cuda... yes that is me in the pic with my mom at the pittsburgh international airport about 20 years ago when i was returning from an "intel mission" in the middle east. i was in intelligence in the Marine Corps. congrats. to your nephew. "the academy" is very hard to get into and to complete. it's hot in bahrain..

i greatly appreciate your offer. if you will determine how much you need for postage/shipping for the cam to my house in carnegie, pa, i'll send you a check. just send me your address at my email listed about jimharvard at aol dot com.

thanks for getting in touch. i'm happy to get this cam...

mr. cuda... yes that is me in the pic with my mom at the pittsburgh international airport about 20 years ago when i was returning from an "intel mission" in the middle east. i was in intelligence in the Marine Corps. congrats. to your nephew. "the academy" is very hard to get into and to complete. it's hot in bahrain..

i greatly appreciate your offer. if you will determine how much you need for postage/shipping for the cam to my house in carnegie, pa, i'll send you a check. just send me your address at my email listed about jimharvard at aol dot com.

thanks for getting in touch. i'm happy to get this cam...
I will check on shipping and let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back