68 340 with no VIN HELP

-

68DartGTS340

Reaction score
Hi all,
i'm hoping someone can help me with some info on the vin that is allegedly stamped on ALL 68 340 engines. As you can see from the pix, for some reason there is no stamping on my block. I have read somewhere that not all were stamped on the early production castings.
can anyone shed some light? I am selling my 68 GTS and my trans is stamped with the matching vin and it would be great to verify the engine as matching numbers or at least have some definitive info that some early ones did not receive the stamping.
Casting 2780930-340-5
Casting date 6/22/67
vin3.JPG
vin2.JPG
vin1.JPG
vin3.JPG
vin2.JPG
vin1.JPG
340-10.JPG
340-9.JPG
340-8.JPG
340-7.JPG

Thanks all.

you need to look down by the pan rail, the pictures do not show the vin pad. or as stated its a warranty block.i think if they stamped the trans they would have stamped the block as well.

A 1968 engine will not have the VIN stamped by the pan rail and will not have a machined pad there. If there is a VIN stamped on the block it will be on the transmission rail on the top towards the drivers side.

1968 vin stamping.JPG

You can also get some info about the block under the drivers side head on the front of the block! Will give you the Assembly date, displacement, should have a "P" for premium fuel, not the VIN of the car tho!!

could be a warrantied block after the car was owner by a customer that had an issue , and the dealer changed it out . more them likely the whole lower end .

A 68 built that early would probably not have a VIN on the block, I seriously doubt it is a warranty block with that date code. I have had several 68 340 blocks cast with that date. Very early 340 car, congrats!

A 68 built that early would probably not have a VIN on the block, I seriously doubt it is a warranty block with that date code. I have had several 68 340 blocks cast with that date. Very early 340 car, congrats!
Thanks, I have read somewhere that early 68 340 didn't have vin, and I agree that a warranty block with that casting date is remote at best.
Car is for sale!! See post.

I was originally asking about the car's build date because rule of thumb is to look for casting dates (not just engine blocks) within a 3 month time frame from the car's build date. This motor: 6/22/67. Your car's build date: 9/29/67. Close enough at 3 moths and a week.

I have 2 318 warranty blocks.

One is a 1976 with no stamping on the machined pad where the VIN would normally be found.

The other is a 1967-68 and has a warranty block tag riveted to the front driver's side block casting.

Not sure if any of that helps.

I have 2 318 warranty blocks.

One is a 1976 with no stamping on the machined pad where the VIN would normally be found.

The other is a 1967-68 and has a warranty block tag riveted to the front driver's side block casting.

Not sure if any of that helps.
Thanks, all info is appreciated.
Ken

-
Back