'68 383 barracuda fastback - what to look for?

-

jbeintherockies

Reaction score
I'm new and I'm thinking about buying a 68 barracuda fastback with a 383 and an auto trans. When I go to see the car, what should I look for/at? How do you determine what a car is worth?

I know the car was originally a 318 car (vin/fender tag). The last time I saw the car the front tires were leaning further out where they touch the asphalt versus the tops of the tires (like this: / \ ). I have a feeling the 383 was put into the car without modifying the front-end to handle the additional weight. What do you guys think could be the cause of the front tire lean?

When I go and look at the car, I will look at the underbody to see if anything is leaking/smashed/rusted, I'll look for rust under the carpet and in the trunk, on the body and along the rear window molding. I will pull each plug (checking for color, specs of metal, electrodes broken off), I'll check the motor oil/trans/coolant fluid colors, make sure it has a 727 and an 8 3/4. Lastly, I will drive the car and see how it handles, brakes and accelerates.

When you guys go to look at a big-block A body (67-69 barracuda in particular) what are you looking for? What do you recommend I look for/at?

Thanks in advance. :read2:

Check to see if he,s changed out the torsion bars for bigger ones.I,d go over the car with a taped up magnet also(checking for bondo)Also check how well he,s done the underhood wiring and any added electrical.If it was a 318 car,it might have a 7 1/4 in it?I,m sure others will chime in with more to check.good luck.

Original small block car? How's the engine mounted?? Exhaust headers or manifolds?Brakes...small drums? Small bolt circle wheels, drums,axles? Lots to look out for. BB A-bodies rock......but the transformation from small block to BB needs to be done right and can get expensive.

I'm not sure how the engine was mounted; I'll find out when I go and see it. It actually has under-the-chassis headers; but I don't know what make. I was told it also had the big disc brake and large bolt pattern conversion done.

I'll look under the dash to see if the wiring has been hacked and I'll pay attention to the underhood wiring.

Excellent.......big bolt conversion done..steps in the right direction! Keep us posted!

When you guys go to look at a big-block A body (67-69 barracuda in particular) what are you looking for? What do you recommend I look for/at?

I recommend letting the car idle for a while to make sure that the cooling system is adequate at idle (as you should do with any car). Space is tight in the engine bay and you could have trouble fitting an electric fan if you need it later down the road, I had this problem when I bought my barracuda. I checked it all out and test drove it all over on empty roads and in very light traffic. Wasn't til I got it home that I realized that it couldn't keep the temperature from climbing over 210* in traffic.

If it has a stock radiator and fan shroud, it could be perfectly fine. If it has an aftermarket radiator and a belt driven fan, you're probably going to be looking at adding an electric fan or coming up with a working shroud later down the road.

To bad hope it works out for you, the fish are the bomb. If the car is from your area make sure check the frame rails and torsion boxes real good, the quarters and such are cosmetic but those parts can cause all kinds of problems if there are rotted.

Look for rust or rust repairs in the bottom rear quarters, lower rear corners of the fenders, the area on the rocker panels just below the door jambs, bottom corners of the back glass, and of course the floors in the cabin and trunk. Look for things that would be found on a factory big block car like; large capacity radiator, large brakes, adequate torsion bars, 8.75" rear end, adequate leaf springs, etc.. It sounds like the torsion bars may be set too low or something, I would have it checked immediately if you buy the car. I would check to see if the steering linkage hits anything especially since it has headers on it. Look to see if the idler and pitman arm clear everything, especially the oil pan. If the conversion was done with the proper parts like those made by Schumacher (engine-swaps.com) then there should be few or no problems. Good luck!!!

Ive got an original 318 car and mine came with the 8 3/4 rear end so that one may have the same. The 7 1/4 was the standard in the slant 6 models i believe.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I had heard that pre-'73 A-bodies came with an 8 3/4 with big blocks and small blocks with manual transmissions. They also came in small block auto cars with the heavy duty suspension package. Otherwise, it would have been the 7 1/4.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I had heard that pre-'73 A-bodies came with an 8 3/4 with big blocks and small blocks with manual transmissions. They also came in small block auto cars with the heavy duty suspension package. Otherwise, it would have been the 7 1/4.

You're 100% right about the big block cars having 8 3/4s and all 340 cars have them as well.Other small block 4 speeds are hit and miss,I've seen 273 and 318 4 speeds with either a 7 1/4 or an 8 3/4.
I don't think the heavy duty suspension option would give you an 8 3/4 but ordering the trailer tow package would have.
That said,I've seen 8 3/4s show up randomly in low option 318 or 273 automatic cars but those are probably due to parts shortages at the plant.

I finally got a hold of him and he informed me that he had sold the car. I guess that is why he never called me back. I just wanted to updated the thread.

Well crap I hate it when that happens. Never mind just do like I did I bought a /6 car and will put a Hemi in it. Course the black car is a 383 formula S car I will be selling it when the other body is done and I move the motor over to it.

-
Back