68 440 with a blank VIN pad ??

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Last week I dragged home a 67 Chrysler 300. I thought it had its original engine but the 4-4-68 casting date told me that it was a replacement engine. Now I started looking at the ID numbers and have found that while there is a machined flat spot on the RH side of the block near the oil pan rail, there is no number stamped there.
The raised pad near the distributor reads D440 6 21 HP with a sideways B inline with the LH side of the block.
Maybe a warrantee replacement? What does this do for the value as compared to another block with an actual VIN stamp?

I scraped a bit more and found a number at the back of the block near the oil sending unit . I'm more familiar with 1970 and later engines so it was news to me that a 1968 engine would be stamped in such a strange area.
My numbers came up 8A333528 .

What's the BFD? It's a '67 Chrysler. VIN numbers weren't stamped on engines and transmissions by Chrysler until '68 or '69 anyway. If you had a '67 that had been stashed away off the car hauler with 1.3 miles on it you couldn't prove it had the original engine in it...

Was this by chance a white car with a red roof?

Good guess. I suppose that you saw my craigslist ad, huh?
I had hoped that the car had its original "TNT" 440 since it might be worth more. The best I can hope now is that someone wants a date coded 440.

I wanted to sell it whole but it looks like I will be parting it out. I'm doing everything I can to make the $$$ I need to buy the wife a new Challenger.

-
Back