68 69 318 piston deck height

-

ir3333

Reaction score
lots of hear say
...anybody ever measure how far down stock '68 and '69 pistons were....080?

lots of hear say
...anybody ever measure how far down stock '68 and '69 pistons were....080?

My all original '69 318 Barracuda had the pistons .039 down in the hole when I checked. It was one of the higher compression years besides '68.

Treblig

how many valve reliefs?
did you ever calculate the actual comp ratio?

I actually don't remember if it had valve reliefs (too long ago), I did manage to make a mental note of the piston depth because I was swapping heads. I put 302 castings on the engine and still have the original heads on the shelf. The factory service manual says, "9.1:1" for 68/69 318 and 69 cc chambers.

treblig

tx..good to know.I thought the head cc were lower
wonder when the compression dropped... 1970 on 318"s

yes, starting in '70 the compression went down year after year.

treblig

The deck height is 9.6 nominal. I think you are referring to deck clearance. You'll need to measure it, as several different pistons were used through the years, depending on application.

I have one or two laying around, but they are not easy enough access to measure. Maybe in the future...

yes my bad ...poor wording.The deck height never changed
i just know a lot of older guys who claim their early 2 bbl 318's ( 68 - 70) would
pull surprisingly well,even in some B bodies easily spanking the Generals' 4bbl 327's.

yes my bad ...poor wording.The deck height never changed
i just know a lot of older guys who claim their early 2 bbl 318's ( 68 - 70) would
pull surprisingly well,even in some B bodies easily spanking the Generals' 4bbl 327's.

My first 68 Barracuda had an original 318 in it and it ran strong.... :burnout:

-
Back