68/69 383 sell or no.....?

-

CowBoyRoy81

Reaction score
I've got a 68/69 383. Should I keep it in case I ever need a big block or sell to someone restoring a B/C/E Body and might need a similar production date? I've been kicking it around about 13 years now, it's at my dads....I'm 36 with other projects lined up....don't see it being used any time soon. Appx value knowing the block isn't cracked but needs rotating assembly? Worth more with a engine shops service description with no issues and media blasted and honed?

Thoughts and opinions from those who've gone through this?

Thanks!

sell it.. not worth a ton

sell it as is or cleaned and checked for cracks.. don't hone it. i'd rather buy one thats untouched..

Thanks for the opinions. Well 10 of that 13 was active duty Army. 5yrs Europe and a couple in the middle east. From WA, strained stateside in GA & MO...not many hobbies getting accomplished that period of my life....

Got it, best verified for damage, sell ready for someone else's project.

If you decide to sell, post the vin number if there is one and more when you do. Folks are always looking for the matching block to old cars and may double your sale price if you find the person with the car it may match! Course if you are sure where it came from and the car is scrapped then disregard my previous suggestion.

I don't agree totally with getting rid of it. a good number of the 68-69 383 engines were four barrel engines with the 383 HP compression ratio. However, they were not stamped as an HP engine. I would check it out a bit more.

What car is the engine from? A,B,C?

Last edited:
As far as what the engine came from...don't know. Got it part of a deal. But that shouldn't matter since Chrysler didn't S/N match engines to frames. Just thought someone doing a resto on a valuable 1969 b/c/e body might desire it.

Cast # verifying 383, although it's obviously not a RB, 2468130-10. Date stamped into it: 4-18-69.

20170812_132023.jpg

20170812_132018.jpg

As far as what the engine came from...don't know. Got it part of a deal. But that shouldn't matter since Chrysler didn't S/N match engines to frames. Just thought someone doing a resto on a valuable 1969 b/c/e body might desire it.

Cast # verifying 383, although it's obviously not a RB, 2468130-10. Date stamped into it: 4-18-69.

View attachment 1715081783

View attachment 1715081784

There are more numbers! Look on passenger side just above pan rail for serial # if 69. On right side of the oil galley for the senders, on the bellhousing surface at top for 68 or early 69. Also there are #'s on the flat pan rail near the starter! All of these are stamped in not embossed.

There are also stamped #'s on the flat under the dizzy ahead of the right head.

Last edited:
I knew that was true for RB, didn't see shutting so assumed not 383. I'll scrape off the crud and inspect further!

Thanks for the info!

I knew that was true for RB, didn't see shutting so assumed not 383. I'll scrape off the crud and inspect further!

Thanks for the info!

Just trying to help you maximize the cash if possible! I am out due the casting date. Good luck with your sale if that is what you want to do!

-
Back