68+ 904 into a 67?

-

75slant6

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What all is needed to put a 68+ 904 into a 67 column shift auto car? I realize the drive shafts are different but will the 67 linkage hook up to the later 904s or will the later linkage be needed? Thanks in advance

linkages is the same but i think you might have a problem with the torque converter. Way back when i put a late model 904 in my 67 dart gt 273. i had to have a custom converter built. everything else hooked up the same.

The snout on the converter that fits in the end of the crankshaft is smaller along with the cranks hole "than" the 68-up cranks and transmissions.The trans itself has a different spline count on the 68-up 904s.Sounds like you are a slant guy and this will apply. I too had a converter built to use the 68-up trans with a 67 slant engine/crank. If you were going the other way with a 68-up crank they make a adapter "ring" to use the 67-earlier trans/converter.
Linkage should be ok.Unless you are switching a drive shaft from a 7 1/4 rear donner to a car that has a 8 3/4 the shafts should be the same length.

What all is needed to put a 68+ 904 into a 67 column shift auto car? I realize the drive shafts are different but will the 67 linkage hook up to the later 904s or will the later linkage be needed? Thanks in advance

Same rear end still in the car and an original 904 the drive shaft is the same. Linkages will also work as long as still using your original engine.

Problem is the torque convertor hub will not go in to the crankshaft on the 67 back engine. You can have a special convertor made to use the tranny.

Ok so if I'd swap in a 79 slant with its matching 904 I'd just need to swap the drive shaft? Guess I shoulda mentioned the part about swapping in the motor too.

I have a cable shifted trans out of my 65 dart. Not sure it's the same as the one you need but if so pm me. I'm looking to sell it. It's a nice working trans with converter.

Ok full story. I got a 79 4 dr aspen I'm parting and I'm keeping the entire drivetrain and front brakes. There's a 67 4 dr valiant in a local 'yard that's super solid that needs a motor and trans. I can get the valiant for $300 n I was just wandering if I'd buy it what would it take to drop the 79 slant and trans in it?

I guess I shoulda said all that in the original post to clear up a lot of stuff.

Since the steering column in the Aspen is different, I'm going to assume the column shift linkage will be slightly different. The drive shaft length in the Aspen will be wrong.
The radiator and trans cooler lines will be different from A-body but you might make those from the Aspen work with a little work.
That's about it.
If you should ever break the reverse lamp switch on the 67 column you can go to the one built into the Aspen's trans mounted neutral safety switch too.

-
Back