68 A-body Dash Pad

-

mopowers

Reaction score
I recently bought a new 68 dash pad from Classic Industries. Nice looking piece! I did notice however, that the pad is missing two small holes (one at either end) for screws that went through the backside of the dash on the one I took out. I'm wondering if someone had modified my old dash pad and used a couple screws to suck the turned down ends into the frame a little more.

My old pad had 5 studs going through the front face of the dash frame along with a screw hole in each end. The holes look factory as do the two holes in the old pad.

I'm wondering if the new pad didn't get these holes by mistake and I should just drill them out myself.

For those whom have purchase a new 68 pad, do you recall if it had these two small screw holes in addition to the 5 mounting studs?

Here's a picture with arrows pointing to where the holes are I'm talking about:

Picture0517161229_1_zpsxgqhb06e.jpg

Maybe they have some of the foam in them and are covered to the point they are not visible. They should be there!

Is it possible that they intend drill point screws there ? Ooooorrrr
Did they determine the pad would line up with the lower pads better without those 2 little screws ?
I can't see them absolutely req'd from here. Wong the china man couldn't from there either ?
Good luck with it.

Did you buy the top pad for the three piece 68 Dash? I just bought a new top pad from Classic for my 68 Barracuda. Mine has the two lower pads also. Mine had studs out on the ends. I have seen them with screws on other cars.

I specifically bought a pad for a 68 A-body. The pad matches up nicely with the lower pad. The only thing is it's missing the two holes. It does have vinyl covering where the holes should, be I my have to dig at them with a pick. I'm just wondering if other folks ran into this issue with reproduction 68 dash pads. Thanks for the help guys.

Did you buy the top pad for the three piece 68 Dash? I just bought a new top pad from Classic for my 68 Barracuda. Mine has the two lower pads also. Mine had studs out on the ends. I have seen them with screws on other cars.

Where did you find the two lower pads? All i've been able to find are caps for the lower pads.

I didn't, I had a few of them but they were brown. So I followed the advice of members on here and I spray dyed them black. They came out real nice. I used the VHT black dye and it matches the Classic top pad perfect! I do understand that you can buy them new.

And you know now that I think about it,mine did use the two screws on the ends of the pad. I remember comparing the new one to the old one and took a pick and poked a hole thru the vynl.

Thanks SGBARRACUDA! I appreciate the info.

I ended up calling Classic Industries. The guy on the phone had no clue if their 68 A-body pads are supposed to have the screw hole at the ends. So I called PG Classics (The company that makes the pads). The guy I spoke with pulled one and said they don't have holes on the ends. I asked if the vinyl just hides the holes and he said no, there are no holes under the vinyk. WTF? I guess it's time to get the drill out. My magnet says there is structure where the holes should be, so at the very least, I should be able to drill my own hole. Of course, I'll poke around with a pick first to see if the holes are hiding.

dash2_zps6anirw0p.jpg

dash_zpsrqnqmcyd.jpg

I took a pick and was able to find a hole on each end. I ran the original two screws in the holes. I don't know if it was or wasn't a mounting hole, but it did tighten up?

-
Back