68 a-body left indicator pulses

-

44Dart

Reaction score
strange,,all the lights-directionals-stop lights,park lights work great but the left directional indicator pulses when the engine is running,and it doesn't increase or decrease with engine speed,grounded cluster,dask,engine to firewall,neg termanal to core support,its got me wondering about the bulkhead through the firewall??????????????

strange,,all the lights-directionals-stop lights,park lights work great but the left directional indicator pulses when the engine is running,and it doesn't increase or decrease with engine speed,grounded cluster,dask,engine to firewall,neg termanal to core support,its got me wondering about the bulkhead through the firewall??????????????

Depending on year...If a turn light fails...your indicator light stays on!

My cluster indicator stayed on when my left turn light "ground wire" fell off the light housing itself. Perhaps your wires are worn or have a loose connection. I suggest you recheck both the front and rear grounds closely and by hand. A engines vibration and loose connection is enought to make your indicator pulse and screw with your head!
PS Also check the bulb sockets to ensure there's no bulb play.

Let us know!!

Pull the bulkhead connector and check the terminal for the light green wire (near the bottom left)which is your left turn signal feed. Trying to remember but believe the main power lead is just above the left turn at the connector, perhaps arching across the two.

check the grounds at the fixtures. 1157 dual element bulbs will try to use the park lamp wire for a ground source.

Just spent the last couple hours tinkering on the Dart, all the lights,dash indicators,dash 4ways,directionals park tail all work perfectly,though they have all along.tonight I just changed all the 1157s cleaned and sprayed all the connections, grounds sockets etc..........pulled the bulkhead apart at the firewall, cleaned,scraped connectors sprayed them all is well, heres the thing, the left indicator will pulse when the key is turned to acc or run position,if you take out the left front turn-park bulb it stops BUT with the bulb removed the top of the fender turn indicator lights up!!!!!!!!!it doesn't pulse it just lights up!!!!!!!!
Now I would think with all lights-directionals etc...turned off there shouldnt be any power to any lights? the bulkhead at the firewal was really quite tight and clean so I have to rule it out,(cleaned it up anyhow) how about a light switch?allthough what would that have to do with a turn indicator? I think I should be narrowed down to a front problem, when checking the blue wire as per Oldkoot I unplugged the whole pass side bulkhead and I checked the lights and everthing was fine

The only thing that will pulse voltage in acc. or run, besides flashers, is the instrument voltage limiter for the gauges. Possible problem on the back of the instrument panel.

The fender mounted signal plugs into the harness going to the turn signal, again the light green wire off the back of the left signal harness, you'll find a short pigtail. First try unplugging the signal flasher, if it still lights up move the signal lever and see if it changes, then unplug the signal switch (harness connector is to the left of the steering column.After all this if it still is light, the problem is from the bulhead connector to the front lights and not in the car.

The fender mounted signal plugs into the harness going to the turn signal, again the light green wire off the back of the left signal harness, you'll find a short pigtail. First try unplugging the signal flasher, if it still lights up move the signal lever and see if it changes, then unplug the signal switch (harness connector is to the left of the steering column.After all this if it still is light, the problem is from the bulhead connector to the front lights and not in the car.
I have a few Honeydos this morning but sometime today I'm going to try it without the flasher, I replaced both flashers last night but I did not try the issue with the flashers out, the thing that gets me is I cant see how I could be lighting any lights with all the light switches-4way-directionals in the off position,,,,oh and forgot to mention,turn the key on or acc and the left indicator comes on solid for about 8 seconds before it starts pulsing

The solid burn before pulsing is another charactoristic of the voltage limiter. Now I dont know how gauge voltage can get to a signal lamp but thats where its coming from. There are places where the circuits get close to one another. Copper trace on printed circuit boards is one of them.
I've been wrong before. My quarter bet is placed :)
If you have a standard panel you can pull the limiter can off the board and see if the condition still exists. A rallye panel will be a booger to test.

What is the charge gauge doing when this happens? Also try disconnecting the voltage regulator and see if it stops.
Here are 2 links to your wiring schematics that may help with troubleshooting.
http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1968/68DartA.jpg

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1968/68DartB.jpg
Thanks for the schematics,I disconnected the flasher,, no change,disconnected Voltage regulater no change,, the amp gauge does not move at all when the indicator pulses,I havn't checked the voltage limiter yet, if I disconnect the plug for the front lights(left block under hood) problem goes away I checked all grounds at the light fixtures in front with an ohms meter all is good

Thanks for the schematics,I disconnected the flasher,, no change,disconnected Voltage regulater no change,, the amp gauge does not move at all when the indicator pulses,I havn't checked the voltage limiter yet, if I disconnect the plug for the front lights(left block under hood) problem goes away I checked all grounds at the light fixtures in front with an ohms meter all is good

well ofcourse it stops when the light harness is dissconnected.
If that current is comming from the gauge voltage limiter a volt meter will show as much as 14 volts for the 1st 8 seconds or so then begin to pulse 2.5 to 4.0 volts. A digital meter will just act crazy but an analog meter will track the pulses.
There is probably a gauge fuse to pull which would bare evidence but I dont know what else is on the same fuse. The limiter output voltage goes through the gauges and to the senders. Two meters would show same pulse at the water temp sender or oil pressure sender. Fuel tank sender too. I still cant say where the short to the left light is.
I dont care if I'm right or wrong, just trying to help. Call me crazy here but if that indicater blinks with the turn signals should all the bulbs on that circuit recieve the same voltage pulse ? Is it possible the meter would show the pulse at those fixture even though its not enough current to light those bulbs ? Those would be dissconnected at the signal switch so now you'll need to remove the fuse for the signals (interupt flasher) then make the circuit with the signal left switch to test.

-
Back