68 barracuda 383s "Driver Paint Resto"

-
Hey guys.. it's been awhile since I posted an update. . Well it ends up I put the Barracuda into storage for a few months. Also I ended up selling some of my assets (motorcycles, snowmachines and other odds and ends ) and came up with enough funds to hopefully cover a driver paint job. So after getting 6 qoutes from local painters I chose a guy and dropped the Cuda off at the guys house last weekend. I bought the SPI epoxy and am responsible for purchasing the paint and clear he is looking after the rest of the materials. I should have some progress pictures soon. He told me if all goes good I "should " have the Cuda back within 4-5 weeks.
I just hope to hell everything goes good. It seams like every time I do something like this there is always somekind of yelling match somewhere along the way. Wish me luck..
Thanks

One thing I have to decide is to have the guy paint it in his garage or rent a paint booth. I have seen a 68 Charger he painted in his garage and it looked good. But apparently it needed lots of polishing. I got a price to rent a booth and it was 800$ for 24 hrs. I thought it was a bit much.

It's definitely getting painted.. should have it back in the near future. .
Thanks

26B890BF-367C-410B-A3FB-03CE310D8092.jpeg
A12935EA-CEFD-4238-9E70-5722315C7E00.jpeg
With the proper prep beforehand you can get a great paint job in a garage. This was painted in a 2 car garage.

Hey guys.. it's been awhile since I posted an update. . Well it ends up I put the Barracuda into storage for a few months. Also I ended up selling some of my assets (motorcycles, snowmachines and other odds and ends ) and came up with enough funds to hopefully cover a driver paint job. So after getting 6 qoutes from local painters I chose a guy and dropped the Cuda off at the guys house last weekend. I bought the SPI epoxy and am responsible for purchasing the paint and clear he is looking after the rest of the materials. I should have some progress pictures soon. He told me if all goes good I "should " have the Cuda back within 4-5 weeks.
I just hope to hell everything goes good. It seams like every time I do something like this there is always somekind of yelling match somewhere along the way. Wish me luck..
Thanks

While I am disappointed you aren't spraying it yourself, I do understand. I am in the middle of this right now with my Dart. It is all torn apart and after I get the rust replaced on the lower quarters, I will be stripping and epoxying. I am also using SPI products.

What did you use to strip it with? I have a 6" DA and 80 grit paper, but I am worried about getting too close to the body lines. Maybe I just need to tape those off and do those by hand.

While I am disappointed you aren't spraying it yourself, I do understand. I am in the middle of this right now with my Dart. It is all torn apart and after I get the rust replaced on the lower quarters, I will be stripping and epoxying. I am also using SPI products.

What did you use to strip it with? I have a 6" DA and 80 grit paper, but I am worried about getting too close to the body lines. Maybe I just need to tape those off and do those by hand.
I had all intentions of painting myself. But after considering my limited paint skills, the health risks, the fact I have no time and so on. I decided to have someone else do it. ( just praying it turns out ok).
I stripped the paint with a 7" electric sander with combination of 80, 60, 40 grit ( keep an eye on the heat) and also cleaned it up with a DA with 80, 60 grit.
Thanks

Couple of update pics.. it's almost ready for paint.. one more round of blocking.. I should have it by xmas.

20171203_175231.jpg

20171203_175212.jpg

Very Cool, great job! I am about to spray color on my project as well.

Alex
I am actually not doing the bodywork and paint, although I did strip the paint off car myself I thought I would get a more experienced person do it. With 2 Young kids no time . I hope all goes good with your project, do you have a thread started? I'd like to check it out
Thanks. ..

Hey guys.. I got some progress pics. The guy that has my Cuda has had it for aprox 3 months, seeing my busy life (2 Young kids) I just let him do his thing, and didn't bug him to much. ( Not atall like me) I know the pics are not the best but I am fairly pleased with the outcome.

Screenshot_2018-01-14-20-13-10.png

Screenshot_2018-01-14-20-12-57.png

Screenshot_2018-01-14-20-12-50.png

Last edited:
Looks awesome Darren! Nice to see it home.
Hi Steve. .
The pics of the car are taken at the painters home. I should have it at my house on Tuesday. . I will take some more pictures then.. thanks

I got the cuda home now. Here are a few pictures. . Probably start assembling in a month or so.

Screenshot_2018-01-22-01-49-53.png

Screenshot_2018-01-22-01-50-23.png

Screenshot_2018-01-22-01-50-09.png

looking good. love the car. I am somewhat going through the same.

Again very nice!

Bryan

-
Back