68 Barracuda BB Swap - 383/400/440 questions

-

M1Thumb

Reaction score
Hello all! First time post here, but I have an actual question that I think belongs on this board.

Background info:
I have a 1968 Barracuda notchback. I'm going to be in it for the long-haul with a frame-off restoration (it has some rust issues, but definitely do-able and worth saving).

Here's my goal for the resto/mod:
- Restored stock appearance (no hood or interior modifications)
- Respectably fast on pump gas. It'll be a weekend cruiser, but my dad and I will occasionally take it to the local strip for fun. We're not going to race competitively, but given that the Hurst 426 Barracudas put up 10 second runs with 425hp, I would think this is going to be a pretty doggone fast car with a high performance BB that's likely to make well more than 500hp. (Yes, yes I know the Super Stock cars were seriously lightened and stripped down.) Anyway, I'm not building a car for SS/AA, but if I get this thing together and it runs 14s I'll cry.
- I'm not concerned with everything being period correct. For example, I've found some interesting info on fabricating a rear end out of a Dana 60, and I'll probably go that route, as it's stronger, cheaper and more available than the 8 3/4. As another example, I'm not sure what transmission I'll put in it, but a T6 looks like a likely option.

On to my question, which I haven't been able to find an answer to on here:

Obviously with the above goals, I'll be putting a big block in it (a stroker at that). From what I've read, 440s are a very tight fit in these cars, and you have to sacrifice things like power steering to make them fit. Is a 383 or a 400 significantly easier to fit in than a 440? (Oh, how I'd love to have to squeeze in a 426, but the budget's just not going to allow that.)

I have an idea what kind of HP and torque I can make with these various engines, what the various stroker options are, etc, but I'm just not familiar with the differences in the external block dimensions. I could pick up a local 400 bare block for $250 right now...but if it's just as big as the 440, I'll probably just end up taking my time to find a 383.

Thanks for any help and feel free to weigh in with unsolicited advice. Just don't slap me around too hard.

Any wedge will fit. There are different fitment issues with B and RB blocks, so don't let that stop you from picking what you want. Traction and 60ft times are what gives a good 1/4 mile time, not just power. As for the 68 hemi A-bodies, they were well above 425hp as delivered...

Any wedge will fit. There are different fitment issues with B and RB blocks, so don't let that stop you from picking what you want. Traction and 60ft times are what gives a good 1/4 mile time, not just power. As for the 68 hemi A-bodies, they were well above 425hp as delivered...

am just finishing up a 4 yr build( are they ever done?) on a 68 form S fastback. went w/ a motor plate I picked up off of fabo,440 raised port alum.heads-cnc ported, solid roller cam, fast 2.0 f.i. -727, dana 60. raised port heads definitly make the whole deal tighter. no heater motor room at all, brake master cyl. moved and w/ swing away set-up for valve cover removeal. if I were to do it again, I`d go w/ a 400 block, stroke it to what ever, w/ some really good reworked factory heads, "they won`t ever flow what my heads flow, but you should be able to accomplish ur goal". and you won`t have your carb. sticking above the fender line that way.
-just a little info----------bob-------but it`s gonna be funnnnnnnnnnnnn

I have a 69 Fastback with manual steering and a 833 4speed. I did a low deck sitting on a factory BB k-frame. I used homemade frame connectors, big bolt pattern disc brake conversion and Hellwig sway bars front and rear. The low deck is as follows: 400/470", Eagle crank, Manley rods, Diamond pistons(10.2:1) Edelbrock heads, Comp street solid roller cam,Comp rockers, Edelbrock RPM intake, Holley 800 DP, CPPA in chassis headers(similar to TTI) 3" exhaust w/x-pipe and 3" TTI tailpipes. It made 420hp at the back tire @ 5500 rpm(I really should have spun it to 6500) and over 500 ft lbs all the way up. It runs easily on any pump crap I've put in it,it idles at 850 rpm and makes 10-12" vacuum. Oh yeah almost forgot......it's a hoot to drive, just make sure it's pointed straight before ya :burnout:...lol
Good luck with your build...BB A-bodies are a blast!!:D

you do not have to give up power steering just because you put a RB in it. I just put a 440 in my 69 and left the PS in it. I am running the Schumacher headers though..... TTI would not fit with PS. I also got the shorter heater motor from Napa and went to manual brakes (booster too big). I am running a home-made DC k-frame as well.

you do not have to give up power steering just because you put a rb in it. I just put a 440 in my 69 and left the ps in it. I am running the schumacher headers though..... Tti would not fit with ps. I also got the shorter heater motor from napa and went to manual brakes (booster too big). I am running a home-made dc k-frame as well.

before you pull the trigger!

-
Back