'68 Barracuda-bigger rear wheels?

-

68SRVIVR

Rick/'68 Barracuda 340-S
Reaction score
What are pros and cons of tires/wheels same size all around
vs. bigger (only 1 or 2 inches) in rear?
I like the "deepdish" look in back, but am I sacrificing handling
and tire rotation?

Thanks, Rick

'68-1.jpg

'68-2.jpg

I like the deep dish look also. My '68 ragtop has aftermarket Rallyes on it. They are 14x7 on the front and 15x8 on the rear. I think it handles better than it did with the skinny stockers and the wheels fill out the fenderwells nicely. You should get the front end re-aligned if you go with offset wheels. Sorry I don't have a pic right now.
Dallas
missourimopar.com

AdamR said:
I think I would leave that car just the way it is !
Don't do it! Adam's right - that car looks way too nice and original to start modding it. :thumbrig:

5.5" wide steel wheels, skinny tires and hub caps just don't do it for me, I vote for getting some wheels that tickle your fancy and filling up the wheel wells. Fat tires on the back won't hurt the handling, lots of sports cars come that way and the 70 AAR Cuda was the first car from the factory to come with bigger tires on the back.

I have 14x6 Rallys on my car right now and I like the look and now that I have other things completed on the car I am back to looking for some new tires and wheels. I am considering 15x7 with 225/60's for the front and 15x8 and 275/50's for the back. If you like the look of the Weld Pro-Star wheel Summit is selling a cast aluminum wheel under their own name for under $100 that is very similar looking.

When I still had the small bolt pattern I had a set of American Racing Chrome Slotted wheels on the car. These had that deep dish look. Here is an old video clip from a local access TV show that featured my car when it had the \6 and slotted wheels.

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a202/dgc333/?action=view&current=Daves_Barracuda.flv

well if you do change at least its just bolt on. NICE CAR!!!! is that a GG1 paint code? my buddy has a 68 fb 340-4spd british green car that he is restoring. have a set of driving wheels and a set of show wheels. dgc333 has a good suggestion on size. maybe only 255 or 265 out back if you didn't want that wide.

1966 dart wagon said:
yeah i agree, why were they recalled?

What recall wheels? The orignal poster Rick has standard steel wheels with the optional wheel covers.

I personally feel that the 67-69 barracudas really need a good wheel and tire combination to really bring out the body lines. I have torque thrusters on my 383-S fastback and they look 1000 times better than the ralleys I used to have on them. I think 67-69 cudas look better with a little rake to them that the bigger/taller tire in the back brings.
My opinion.

I have nothing against bigger rims/tires. I just think that car is to clean and original to change.

Heres my olf 69 Barracuda. I had 15X8.5" rims and 275-60-15s on it. The springs were moved though.

IM000559.sized.jpg

If you must here`s a picture of my `68 with 255/60-15`s on 15 x 7 chrome rallye wheels. 205/70-15`s on 15 x 6`s on the front. The wheels can be bought at Summit Racing. Your car is preserved so well though that I just don`t think I would change anything.

IM000641 (Small).JPG

Longgone said:
If you must here`s a picture of my `68 with 255/60-15`s on 15 x 7 chrome rallye wheels. 205/70-15`s on 15 x 6`s on the front. The wheels can be bought at Summit Racing. Your car is preserved so well though that I just don`t think I would change anything.

Man I love that car!

It's a matter of really what you want on your car. I will eventually have the Pro-street look on my cuda with narrow tires on the front (4 inches or so) and wide tires on the back (275/60/15) or something close to that size. I just like the look of Pro-street. Now some will like the looks of factory and some will change up a little bit on wheel size on front and back. So it really depends on what you want your car to look like. Your car looks original with the wheels it has on it now. Make sure however if you change to something else I wouldn't let those wheels/caps get to far if you know what I mean.

Your car looks great as is, but why not put some aftermarket rims and tires on it. After all it's a simple bolt on. Then you can just swap them back and forth as your mood soots you.
Fastback Barracudas really look killer with some fat tires in the back and smaller ones in the front.

Break out the sawzall, and torches, and mini tub that sucker!!!

Just kidding,I agree that some aftermarket wheels would make the car look like it is flexing it's muscles a bit more than it is now.

I wish another set of wheels to bolt on was the only worry I have about my car.

Even a nice set of rally wheels would set that car off well.
cuda23.jpg

1BadDodge71 said:
ok,my mistake.I mistook those for the kelsey-hayse recall wheels.(in the pic)
formulas.jpg
sorry!!lol
but i agree,that Cuda looks too clean to mess with

Wouldn't it be neato if someone repo'd those wheels?

dahdgedaht said:
Wouldn't it be neato if someone repo'd those wheels?

They do but they are still stupid expensive and I dont think you can get them on 4" bolt patern.

THANKS TO ALL!
GOT BELOW ADVICE FROM SHAWN AT newstalgiawheel.com
(THEY ARE REMAKING 4" BOLT PATTERN CRAGAR S/S)
ANY THOUGHTS?
-RICK

Car looks real nice, if it were mine I would use 15 x 6 in front & 15 x 7 in the rear. I know the 15 x 8 would fit, but this car to me would look better with the more conservative wheel.
Do a 215-65-15 on front & a 245-60-15 on the rear.
This would be a nice look for the car.

[email protected]

I believe they kept making the recall wheels in Mexico and South America after they fixed them, just not here.

-
Back