68 Barracuda Dash Bezel removal

-

geronim04

Reaction score
hi everybody

first time posting - finally got my hands on my first mopar, a 68 barracuda fastback

in the process of some interior disassembly, and i was wondering if there is a way to remove the dash bezel without removing the dash pads and the windshield. the dash pads are all in great shape, and i would rather not remove them

thanks, rick

If you plan to do these sort of services yourself, get a factory service manual.
You'll never regret it.

you do not need to remove the upper or lower dash pads or glass to do this job. it comes out the front with the gauges as one piece. Mostly secured with phillip screws.
disconnect battery, Dropping the column helps greatly.
on the left side you have left pcb wiring, h-light sw, flasher sw wiring, speedo cable, right side right pcb wiring connector, amp gauge wiring 3/8th nuts, heater control knobs take the 3/8th bolts out and lighter and wiring.

Pull the front seat out as well....only 4 bolts hold it in and your back will thank you.

Drop the column a bit. There should be 3 nuts under the dash I believe and then two bolts holding it to the firewall. These only need to be loosened so much and the column will drop a few inches. It's all you need to get the dash bezel out. The column doesn't need to literally be dropped to the floor.

Thank you guys.. Made the job a lot easier. Dropping the steering column helped a ton. Seat was removed after I found myself sideways and upside down for the third time !

Thank you guys.. Made the job a lot easier. Dropping the steering column helped a ton. Seat was removed after I found myself sideways and upside down for the third time !
Ya me to. Sideways upside down, been there! LOL!
Darryl

It's amazing how much easier it is to work under there without that dang seat in your spine....lol :D

There is more than one way to skin that cat.
Because I have spine problems from top to bottom, I cant work upside down or lift a seat out. I had to develop my own alternative proceedure. I do need to kneel in the driver door opening for a time but everything else is done while sitting in the seat(s) .
Very little re-assembly is required to drive the car without an instrument panel if/when required. This isn't an option when following the service manual proceedures.
To type out my proceedure here isn't an option. If you're young and healthy you didn't need it anyway.
Good luck

-
Back