68 Barracuda in Australia

-

68AusCUDA

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've wanted one of these for ages and the right one just came along. 2nd gen Barracudas a pretty rare in Australia but mine has been here almost all its life. I bought this right hand drive originally South African car from an old guy who had owned it for 42 years. It's currently running a /6 but I plan to swap that out for a small block ASAP. I've been checking out this forum for a couple of weeks now and know I'm gonna need some help from the really knowledgable people here.

Just got it home today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 188
Good luck with that car. Do you have any shots of the interior? Would be nice to see what they look like inside. Right hand drive Mopars in general is not so common.

BTW, did they build or sell 1965 Dodge Darts in Australia?

No Dodge Darts but we had some similarly styled local Chrysler's. There were no coupes only sedans, utes and wagons. The VC Valiant Safari is very similar to your 65 dart wagons and I reckon the sedans took some styling cues from the darts also.

Here's some interior shots. I think the dash was borrowed from another Chrysler car and shifted to the right. I prefer the US round dash but this is still cool.

Attachments

• IMG_3105.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_3104.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_3106.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 184
Welcome from - similar sounding - Austria.

I think, these Barracudas were not build regularly in Australia; should been an export car, adaptred for driving on the wrong side of the street.:)

And as far I know, You had - really fine - regular production Mopar Coupes in Australia:

PC_001ansc2.jpg

Thanks, Yeah we did. I have one of those too but they didn't make coupes here until the late 60s. Certainly not in the earlier models that are similar to the 65 Dart.

I don't imagine there are too many Mopars in Austria. Love your city.

That looks like the instrument cluster from a Valiant of the same year.

Thanks, Yeah we did. I have one of those too but they didn't make coupes here until the late 60s. Certainly not in the earlier models that are similar to the 65 Dart.

I don't imagine there are too many Mopars in Austria. Love your city.

Yes, we have only a few, but some of them - and the city of Vienna - You can see here:

[ame]https://youtu.be/co72jcdHwIU[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/LiuPJ1FqdTw[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/5PY1MzEQ8ic[/ame]

Welcome I'm new here also I have a 69 'cuda RH drive looks to be the same as yours. The dash is a duster/scamp dash set up for RH drive. Mine was assembled in South Africa, Formula S with a 225, disk brakes/booster. There aren't many in New Zealand either.
Damn cool cars from any angle!

Attachments

• cockpit.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 143
Welcome mate! Sure enjoyed watching John Faraone run Drag Week in his monster from down under!

welcome to the fray - lots of great people and info here - that is so crazy lookin' with the right side drive...

Thanks all, great to see there's another RHD Barracuda in the neighborhood. I'm having a ball already. Next step is the power plant swap. These cars need an 8. This is a loaded question but Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Those right hand drive Barracudas are cool... I like to see what they did different for those than they did on ours...

-
Back