68 Barracuda, No Reverse Lights.

-

orange68cuda

3 Barracuda Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how to correct this issue? I have Violet and White wires coming from the Shifter Console, but can't figure out where they hook into on the Wire Harness under my dash.. Connection from shifter looks something like a upside down T

Any help is much appreciated..

while my head was under the dash i spotted a violet, white and orange wire with a 3 prong connector.. I know the violet is for the backup lights, white for power(or ground?) and orange for illumination. but why would my console wires only be 2 prong? neither the wire harness or shifter assembly was ever changed.. stuck scratching my head.. im sure there have been plenty of people who have gone through this on their barracudas. any help?? this could all be simply solved if i had one of my other two cudas at the new house, i dont remember what i did on those :(

The original plan is column shift and the harness connecter reached the steering column mounted switch. When the console was added , so was a console harness to extend the power from the original locations. You'kll find the connecter you seek at or near the firewall and brake pedal.

assuming i installed the wire harness the same way :-k i'll go check it out again.. will it be the same 2 prong connector & colors?? thanks for the help..

okay well im pretty sure the 3 prong connector with the violet, white and orange is the one. I tapped some wires to connect the violet's and white's and it worked when i first threw it into reverse but then shortly went back off.. could it be the (solenoid?) if that is what that is on the shifter? pretty much like a little yellow block switch, could that be bad if it only turns on for a second then turns back off? i guess ill start looking for a similar switch to replace the old one.. more help would be appreciated ;P

one purple, one white or one purple and one purple w/white.
The orange illumination tied in somehwere between ignition switch and ashtray , that general area anyway ( I forget ).

There is a little switch moumted on the side of the shifter. If it sticks the shifter will go right past it. Those are fairly simple switches to take apart , clean the contacts, etc..
If your switch is just totally trashed , I have good used or 2 around here.

im having trouble finding replacement ones, im sure the thing went out seeing as how it's 42 yrs old, it will turn on for half a second then go back off when its still in reverse.. ill try taking it out and cleaning it, but in the mean time gonna keep searching for a replacement. how much for one of your extras?

I got it!! switch was a little unaligned and a bit sticky so i cleaned it out and got it in the proper position.. let there be reverse lights!

I got it!! switch was a little unaligned and a bit sticky so i cleaned it out and got it in the proper position.. let there be reverse lights!

If the day comes when you have a later model trans with the 3 prong switch installed.. Route those 2 wires through the nearest firewall plug. Tape them with the single brown wire going to your current one prong neutral safety switch. That's how the factory deleted both of those shifter mounted switches. Happy moparing

-
Back