68 Barracuda Notchback

-

'64 Cuda

Reaction score
Here's some pics I took today of a 68 Barracuda I've been watching for about 7 years. I've asked around & think I've finally got the story on it. It's owned by a lady who won it new in some sort of cereal contest. The car has about 69,000 miles on it & has been parked outside for as long as I've known about it. The only rust I could find is shown in the pics. It appears to have been partially repainted at some time because there is paint flaking a bit around the rear window & the same color of paint underneath. It's a V8 auto trans car with a 7 1/4" rear so I'm guessing it's got a 273. The dash pad has some cracks & the seats had cheap covers on them so I don't know what their condition is. Now for the bad part. IT"S NOT FOR SALE! :sad2: I was told it makes her mad when people offer to buy it & that she has either willed it to a relative or might have already recently given it to him. I'm going to keep watching it & would jump at the chance to buy it but I know there's a lot of other peolpe around here who feel the same way. Just wanted to show you guys another example of what's out there. Enjoy! :thumblef:

:burnout:

68 Barracuda 1.jpg

68 Barracuda 2.jpg

68 Barracuda 3.jpg

68 Barracuda 4.jpg

68 Barracuda 5.jpg

Where's the pics?

What you do is, look the car over and figure out what it needs. You show up with some parts and offer to put them on, or just give them to her. Let her know you're a car nut and you just want to see the car running again and offer to help in any way you can...change a flat tire or whatever. Then if she ever does decide to sell she will trust you, and if she doesn't at least you've helped a nice car and a nice lady.

OK. I've uploaded the pics 3 times! The 2nd time I even previewed the post & they were there, but then they disappeared. Looks like the third time worked.

65s, Thanks for the suggestions but I don't think it'll work. I got most of the info on the car from a small family owned repair shop. The shop owner & his son's have been taking care of the car for her for years. One of them also sells used cars & just laughed at me when I asked if she'd ever sell it. He said if it was for sale he'd already own it. I got the story about her willing the car to a relative from two of the shop owner's sons, & each gave me the same story without even knowing I'd spoken to the other one, & I'm pretty sure they were being honest with me. The car's been around here for almost 40 years & I'm sure she's been sweet-talked by the best of them in the area, but I'll still keep my ears open & put out feelers so people know I'm interested in it.

If people trying to buy it tick her off, don't try to buy it. But if she ( or who ever gets it ) ever need parts, information or any help with it YOU are the one to see. After all you know us and we can turn up any parts that may be needed. Instead of making her mad befriend her.... who knows what the future may hold.

It's worth a try, but the fact of the matter is, in over 7 years I have never seen the car being driven, only parked. Other than a few weeks around Christmas when I think she drives it out of town to visit, it's always been parked at the apartment building where she lives, until yesterday when I saw it at the shop. I've never seen the owner, wouldn't know her if she walked up & kicked me in the ***.

Leave a note on her windsheild just stating that you have several friends that could help her find parts to preserve the car and bring it back to like new condition if she ever needs anthing to feel free to contact you. I would start it off by stating this is not an attempt to buy the car... just to help her not get worked up and just through away your note.

Yep That sure is a nice one.:angel9:

I did not know my ant was living there!!
She said she wanted me to have it.:tongue9:

Just kidding.:angel9:

Go over and cut her grass, haul her grabage,.. whatever. Get to know her. I'd love to have a chance at that car. Howard

Go over and cut her grass, haul her grabage,.. whatever. Get to know her. I'd love to have a chance at that car. Howard

She's probably got a whole battalion of guys doing odd jobs for her like this around her house and business that are kissing butt to get a chance at the car.
She probably has one guy per day come over and do stuff for her as she sits back and laughs at the dummies.
LOL.

Just my imagination wondering again.

If she hasn't already given the car to a relative, then she HAS already put the car in her will as going to him. You guys are right about maybe offering parts, etc., & I'll probably try that, but she probably throws away any note she finds on the car without even looking at it. Maybe I should find out who the car is going to & spread nasty rumors about how he hates her & plans to sell the car as soon as she's dead. Then she might change her will.

My parents used to talk about some old relative who would promise to give different things to her relatives when she died. She would put their name on the item on a piece of masking tape. Then when she got mad at them she would pull off the tape & put somebody else's name on it.

Oh, man, the old tape trick. LOL.

I could start another whole post on this topic, but I won't jack this thread all up doing it.

My neighbour put a note on a car (1951 Plymouth Cranbrook) owned by an old lady. He just said if she ever wants to sell it, he's interested. Please keep his number.

Well almost 20 years later the old lady's son phones him up! Yup, she died but kept the note all those years. He bought the car from the son.

i know where theres a 70 duster 340 project that runs in your area if you cant buy this barracuda! Rallye dash, automatic with floor shift and console, buckets, sway bars, 8.75 rear, and front discs, just to name a few options if your looking for an abody. Cant remember what he said for price but it wasnt a bad price for a running 340 car with the options that it had.

thanson_mopar, I'm not really in the market for another car. It's just that seeing this one several times a week for the last 7 years has made me want it. Like I said before, I would jump at the chance to buy it, if for no other reason than to stick it in my barn for later (much later).

i know where theres a 70 duster 340 project that runs in your area if you cant buy this barracuda! Rallye dash, automatic with floor shift and console, buckets, sway bars, 8.75 rear, and front discs, just to name a few options if your looking for an abody. Cant remember what he said for price but it wasnt a bad price for a running 340 car with the options that it had.

I am interested. What do you know and how much does they asking?

This may seem weird '64 Cuda, but you know any Wynias, jelsmas, or talsmas? I have a lot of family near Wagner/Dante/Avon area...

I'd do some investigating on who she is willing the car to and go talk to them, maybe they are not car nuts and by going right to the next direct source you can bypass the guys at the service station. the service station guys seem to be in the best position right now to acquire it if the relative doesn't want it.
Maybe you can convince the relative how much you really want the car and tell them how you are willing to not chop it up and how you want to restore it.

-
Back