68 Barracuda primer color

-

Red63440

Olddawg
Reaction score
Those of you who have stripped the paint off your 68 Barracuda's what factory primer color have you found, gray or red oxide and what color was your car when it left the factory?

Thank you!

Last edited:
I think the color of primer had to do with the top coat finish color. I think that may be what the OP was getting at. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think the color of primer had to do with the top coat finish color. I think that may be what the OP was getting at. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have a 68 Fastback that was painted turquoise and we found red oxide primer. I asked what color primer as well as the factory color of the car to verify primer changes based on car color and not the year of the car.

The paint guy used what ever was handy!! Het there were painting Mopars not Cadillacs ( who cares how to spell tha

t!?) ha!! By the way, my 71 dister F3 green has red under it.

As said the top coat would determine the primer. Gray or red would work under some colors.

The paint guy used what ever was handy!! Het there were painting Mopars not Cadillacs ( who cares how to spell tha

t!?) ha!! By the way, my 71 dister F3 green has red under it.

As said the top coat would determine the primer. Gray or red would work under some colors.

You would think that darker primers would have been used with darker colors but as shown above that wasn’t always true. What it did seem to provide was physical evidence that shows they used whatever color primer they had at the moment and didn’t seem to be concerned with the paint color that was going on top of it. What this means to a restoration is unclear and as long as there are enough coats of paint put on top of the primer it’s shouldn’t effect what you see. What is interesting is what you may see if not enough paint is put over any color primer resulting in a lighter or darker paint color.

Thanks to all that responded!

Last edited:
To me what is important is understanding modern paint tech. use of epoxy primer, as primer and sealer, urethane and polyester primers, topcoats, and common sense tells use a white top coat goes over a gray better than black.
What is interesting is how durable that OEM primer is on my 71 duster!!!! 47 rs latr!!! hard as heck to sand to bare metal!

Well can come up in a resto. The inside of my firewall was still in full red oxide primer. Do I duplicate during resto?

The end results is what you are after. IF you top coat with bc/cc it will NOT be a correct OEM resto, but 99% of the cars today are finished in that today!

-
Back