68 Barracuda ragtop turn signals

-

superbird6bbl

Reaction score
My 68 Barracuda convertible's turn signals don't work. I went under the dash and found the regular 2 prong flasher and replaced it. I have 4 way flashers. I found a round flasher?? that has 3 prongs, with one of them offset from the other two. What is it for? I haven't removed the steering wheel and I want to make sure that it is necessary,. before I do. I couldn't find any other flashers under the dash. Car is a 318 auto with no special options, except for the top.

is it a small canister about 5/8" diameter as compared to a normal flasher canister which is about 1"? if so that is a delay relay for the light package light that goes above your ignition switch. if not, then ????

the original flasher units used to be 2 separate part #s, 1 for hazards and 1 for turn signals. now they are still 2 separate components but use the same part #. the other flasher i think is attached to either the steering column or the radio.

My opinion is the three prong is turn signals one left one right
the two prong can operate flashers as they all flash together
but turn signals always need 1 rt 1 lft later they were four prong one left 1 right 1 both if you think about it it kind of makes sense
:read2:

My turn signals don't work. The emergency flashers do work. I only have found 1 two prong flasher unit and the small canister 3 prong unit so far. I guess that I need to look around the radio and the steering column?

If you haven't found it yet look between your radio and glove box. If I remember right one set of wire was really long.
68 cuda's wires should be one red and one black for the signals.
The flasher should be 2 pink and one red. The wire colors come form the
service manual wiring diagram.

I haven't found it yet. I really appreciate the input. I will look where you suggested on Saturday and I will post the results. Thank you. PJ

I didnt catch if the turn signals just dont flash but come on, or they do nothing. If they come on but dont flash i'd look at the flasher.
I had the same problem on my 67, the problem was in the turn signal switch.
The terminals in the switch are riveteand over the years the rivets had loosened. A spot of solder on them with a soldering iron fixed the problem.
Also the contacts in the switch can get greasy over time and wont make contact.
Good luck

don't forget to check the bulbs, if it comes on bright and doesn't flash that could be your problem. It's not a common problem, but I have had two bad bulbs before and the signals not work

Thanks, I will check there. I got busy this weekend and never checked it out. I appreciate the help. Is this the place to ask about where to purchase new carpet for my car??

The bulbs don't come on. They come on if I turn on the parking lights, but nothing happens when I just try the turn signals.

Lets diagnose... You must have good dual element 1157 bulbs in all 4 fixtures.
First verify the brake lights work.If you working alone you can poke a cotter pin in the back side of the brake light switch to create a closed loop or just shove a straight pin through the 2 wires. Once you have both brake lights on move the signal switch left then right and see if it turns off the relative bulb.
Test results will either point at a bad signal switch or rule it out.
Then we can continue

-
Back