68 Barracuda Rocker trim clips

-

Shane

Reaction score
Hey!

Does anyone know where I can get the clips that hold the skinny part of the rocker panel trim? The skinny part goes from the front of the car to just behind the door, then there is a wider chrome peice that just bolts to the rocker and rear fender lip.

The clips that where on the car where SHOT when I took it apart...

I have been looking around and cant seem to get a clip that works

Thanks,

shane

You'll find that those clips are as much as impossible to find, shane. I went through the same thing with my 68 - searched everywhere and couldnt find them, tried a few other similar nylon clips but no go either.

I ended up finding a wire clip from Mr G's that worked perfectly. It's 7/8" wide which corresponds with the width of the aluminium "spear" that you're taking about. I used circlip pliers to prise the trim apart enough to slide the clip into the correct position along its length (it's a tight fit but it will go in there) and then the trim just clips into the locating holes on the rocker. The clips hold the trim nice and tight, with no chance of it coming lose.

If you want to do the same try this link - http://www.mrgusa.com/pdfs/45-49misclp.pdf - and see clip FA2494, of which they apparently only have a few left as they are a discontinued item.

good luck!

Shane,
I bought the spears at a swap meet a couple of years ago (already had the gills) and R/T Specialties (rtspecialties.net) had a booth set up. I went over and talked with Tom and he hooked me up with the clips. I wish I knew the part number but he just threw them together in a bag. I would give him a call, he should know what you need.

From memory, I enquired with RT specialties and they didnt have the OEM clips. Some places suggest using 70-71 Challenger rear deck moulding clips or something similar. I have tried those clips and found them wanting.

But by all means check with RT Specialties, I may have my wires crossed.

This is something I have thought about but never tried....

Give me your opinions.

Completely back fill the trim with body filler..... Put the trim on with automotive double sided adhesive tape.

sydcuda you are probably right about the clips not being OEM. The trim didn't come factory on my car and I have yet to get to the piont of installing it. I do know the clips he sold be do clip very well into the trim.
1968FormulaS340 that would probably work very well, windshield urethane would probably work also and be a little lighter with no need for the tape. The thing is since they are made of "UNOBTANIUM"
I don't know if I would want to chance it falling off. I did use the tape to install the stainless inserts on the side trim of my Sebring and it does work very well.

This is something I have thought about but never tried....

Give me your opinions.

Completely back fill the trim with body filler..... Put the trim on with automotive double sided adhesive tape.

Perhaps make the trim too heavy and thus prone to coming loose?

I gotta tell you, the wire clips I found work perfectly and IMHO are a better option than OEM nylon clips. Everything is snug and tight, but the trim can be taken off readily enough if need be.

Sydcuda, I am looking into your link right after I type this!

Thanks to everyone else as well. One of the suggestions have to pan out for me as I am sick of looking at my car with only the back part of the trim on.

I'll let you know how I make out..

Thanks,

Shane!

You can backfill the trim with epoxy and attach it with trim tape if you are willing to apply a screw at each end. Otherwise it would sag eventually , too heavy. You dont want that spear to fall off ! Given that the spear interlocks with the gill plate, screws placed front and center would work.
I'd definately backfill the gill plate with something. They collect derbie against the outside of the quarter skin. Genertes more rust.
There is also a plastic clip that can be easily trimmed to fit in the spears.
My final desision was to just sell the darn things. LOL

LOL, I eagerly drilled the wholes before paint , a year and a half ago when I was a very excited clueless newbie... so selling them and putting the money towards my new convertible top I need is not an option...

-
Back