68 BB K Frame reinforcement pics needed

-

Mrpatel

512Dart
Reaction score
i have my k frame out and have seen several posts on this topic, but it was still unclear what areas need to be reinforced on an A body B.B. with manual steering. Has someone taken photos that they could share? Thanks in advance. Andrew

I scanned some previous posts and most guys seem to just redo the crappy factory welds, or weld the perimeter seams. You might want to be careful about adding gussets anywhere those huge new headers are going to be close to.

Thanks Dave, looks like a cut washer welded around where the strut rod goes and perimeter welding as you mentioned. Just wondering about the steering mount. Looks like someone may have already attempted with a boogar welder or idiot stick in some places.

Unless there is any cracking around the strut rod hole I would forget the washer. Your new strut rods sandwich that area, and the heim joint takes a lot of the stress off. Plus the extra thickness of the washer may throw off the fit.

I weld the outer seams and any others that look poor. Many folks weld a washer to the lower control arm pin tube, but I cut open the k-member below the tube and weld on the inside. Someone with better welding skills can probably make this look untouched when they are done. I also fill the gaps in the steering gear mount. No pics, but I can get some of the last k-member that I did.

I weld the outer seams and any others that look poor. Many folks weld a washer to the lower control arm pin tube, but I cut open the k-member below the tube and weld on the inside. Someone with better welding skills can probably make this look untouched when they are done. I also fill the gaps in the steering gear mount. No pics, but I can get some of the last k-member that I did.
Thanks Jim, any pics or links to previous posts would be great. I am really interested in photos of a BB k frame and steering mount reinforcement. Just worried about any possible interference issues afterwards. I will do the mod on the LCA for sure. Thanks Andrew.

Unless there is any cracking around the strut rod hole I would forget the washer. Your new strut rods sandwich that area, and the heim joint takes a lot of the stress off. Plus the extra thickness of the washer may throw off the fit.
I agree Dave, I confused the strut rod with the LCA bolt hole. Thanks.

-
Back