68 'Cuda 318, 727 downshift to first hard

-

MrJLR

Built, not bought
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
As I'm coming to a stop, when the transmission shifts to first (automatically, not manually) it shifts really hard.

Is this a sign that I need a rebuild or is this just an adjustment?

Mine did that after adjusting the kickdown lever too much. You might try backing yours off a little bit at a time.

Yep. It should have a threaded rod. Pull it off, lengthen it about 1/8 to 1/4", then hook her back up and try it. It doesn't take much, maybe a couple turns.

I agree it sounds like it's the adjustment but you shorten the rod to back it off, not lengthen it. That adjustment is real touchy sometimes. For that reason I adjust it no more than 2 turns at a time.

At least none of these things are pointing to a full rebuild. ......that's a bunch of money that can go to other stuff the car needs !

I agree it sounds like it's the adjustment but you shorten the rod to back it off, not lengthen it. That adjustment is real touchy sometimes. For that reason I adjust it no more than 2 turns at a time.

Fishy 68 has it right. I was bassackwards :eek:ops:. Shorten the rod a couple turns at a time...

-
Back