68' Cuda brakes......still!

-

MrJLR

Built, not bought
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
68 Barracuda - front disk conversion from 73 - 76 duster.

NEW
Rotors
Pads
Bearings
Rubber lines
Calipers
Master Cylinder

Full front end alignment

Problem, it still pulls slightly to the left when braking......

Any ideas ?????

Did you rebuild the front suspension too ? If not something as simple as strut rod bushings can cause a pull when braking.

Take a look at your Rear brakes too.
Contaminated brake linings? Stuck wheel cylinder? Leaky wheel cylinder?
Out of adjustment shoes, to drum?
Don't overlook the rears.

Describe the problem "exactly."

Does it pull lightly, and "keep on pulling"

Does it stop straight under harder or lighter braking?

Does it pull for a bit and then "center?"

This is a new thread? Link to the old? What have you done?

Are you trying this on different roads? You want a level un-crowned road

Who has done what to check CAREFULLY for front end problems?

Describe the problem "exactly."

Does it pull lightly, and "keep on pulling"

Does it stop straight under harder or lighter braking?

Does it pull for a bit and then "center?"

This is a new thread? Link to the old? What have you done?

Are you trying this on different roads? You want a level un-crowned road

Who has done what to check CAREFULLY for front end problems?

Pulls lightly and continues to pull......smooth level roads - I tried a few different roads to be sure....
Harder I brake the more it seems to pull...
This is a continuation of a previous thread
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=316543

The only "professional" inspection was the alignment guy at Sears....closest place to my house!

I suppose it could be related to my rear brakes.....
I just ordered all new rear end parts from Dr Diff - including new 10" drums for the back. So I guess I'll get all that installed and see how it is then...
Unless you can think of a suspect?

Pulls lightly and continues to pull......smooth level roads - I tried a few different roads to be sure....
Harder I brake the more it seems to pull...
This is a continuation of a previous thread
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=316543

The only "professional" inspection was the alignment guy at Sears....closest place to my house!

I suppose it could be related to my rear brakes.....
I just ordered all new rear end parts from Dr Diff - including new 10" drums for the back. So I guess I'll get all that installed and see how it is then...
Unless you can think of a suspect?

Did you rebuild the front suspension too ? If not something as simple as strut rod bushings can cause a pull when braking.

I agreed with Darter6. I'd say that unless you've got a fresh rebuild on the entire front end, you might want to check them out. A worn strut rod bushing on one side could cause the symptoms you're describing.

I agreed with Darter6. I'd say that unless you've got a fresh rebuild on the entire front end, you might want to check them out. A worn strut rod bushing on one side could cause the symptoms you're describing.

OK......guess it takes a lot to save a 47 year old car!
I'll have to get a full front end rebuild kit (and realign!).

All this just to make her a driver.....I guess that's the brakes! (pun!)

Probably PST for the kit or ???????

A full rebuild is a good idea if the front end parts are original. Nothing like time and mileage to reduce the factory rubber to mush.

This is a worthwhile read: http://www.moparmax.com/tech/2011/vi_11-torsiontips-1.html

A full rebuild is a good idea if the front end parts are original. Nothing like time and mileage to reduce the factory rubber to mush.

This is a worthwhile read: http://www.moparmax.com/tech/2011/vi_11-torsiontips-1.html

Damn good read! Thank you for that!
Guess I'm buying a ball joint tool when I place my order!

Question - sine the PO converted my brakes to 73 - 76 Duster disk brakes, does that include the control arms?

I like the parts from Moog or NAPA as opposed to buying a kit. some of the kit parts do not seem as good as the other non-kit parts, especially the front cam & bolt kits...

Polyurethane is stiffer, but not as durable for a street car. I went back to stock rubber vs the poly bushings as they got too beat up in daily driving...

Damn good read! Thank you for that!
Guess I'm buying a ball joint tool when I place my order!

Question - sine the PO converted my brakes to 73 - 76 Duster disk brakes, does that include the control arms?

Yes, since the pre-'73 UCAs have the small ball joint.

Yes, since the pre-'73 UCAs have the small ball joint.

so ordering a "kit" is no good.....

I need control arm bushings and ball joints for 73 - 76 Duster and everything else 1968 Barracuda....

Am I correct? (yes....I'm keeping a log of my parts for future reference!)

I ordered all my stuff from RockAuto. Moog parts, price including shipping was right. I had a '73 Swinger Donor, parts into a '69 Notch. Ordered all parts for the 73. everything went smooth. I went with the offset bushings. Seems like it was a good choice so far.

Just something to think about..Replacement calipers for the slider type Mopars (73-up) sometimes have plastic pistons(I can't spell phe-no-lic) They were known to hang up because of distortion.They came both ways,plastic and metal.I had plasitc when I did my Valiant,Had problems and my local long time parts guy told me about it and ordered some metal pistons to repair the problem. Again,,Just a thought.Again IF the suspension parts were replaced when the disc conversion was done.....Could be ? .Also check out everything in the rear as stated above.^^^^

-
Back