68 Cuda fastback suspension rebuild...

-

mopardude318

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Some progress on my Barracuda's suspension rebuild. When I got the car in Feb. '09, the suspension, tires, brakes and everything else was shot. It had the small bolt pattern, drum brakes, 14" rally wheels, and power steering. I upgraded to disc brakes, large bolt pattern and manual steering...

2km0qp.jpg

zluerk.jpg

I used a cherry picker to take weight off the nose while I took out the K-frame and everything. I also used jack stands in the front as well...

2zhl75s.jpg

2r2rxna.jpg

Got everything out of the car!

2zq5wfp.jpg

34i1g0h.jpg

Got my disc brake kit from Bill (RMS) and also his tubular upper A-arms and strut rods...

15gf0bn.jpg

Blasted, primed and painted my K-frame:

fb9tt4.jpg

Here it is painted with my new Just Suspension 1.0" torsion bars!

ei2gdi.jpg

Lower control arms with Mancini's stiffening plates, tig welded:

t0jh52.jpg

2cmu4jq.jpg

My awesome QA1 shocks!:

2vcu5w9.jpg

Hellwig 1-1/8" tubular front sway bar:

357q4nm.jpg

And the Flaming River 16:1 Manual steering box:

35194p0.jpg

11vp21h.jpg

Steering box installed on K-frame:

16jj9w.jpg

10qmjq8.jpg

Moog idler arm, pitman arm, and ball joints purchased from RockAuto.com:

2gv6brr.jpg

301ljwi.jpg

Putting it all together:

mw4jzn.jpg

Another view with Firm Feel 11/16" heavy duty tie rod ends:

245yp7o.jpg

Working in the rain getting my brakes installed:

2qa8ysm.jpg

Packing wheel bearings:

2vs0ksx.jpg

Some more progress:

blwzb.jpg

14azywj.jpg

29ktmxt.jpg

Rims I plan to use, Mustang Bullitt 17x8 & 5.72 backspace, had to also take them to a shop so they could put them on a lathe to hog out the centers so they would fit over the big mopar hubs:

ftzyfq.jpg

fjergo.jpg

Had to use a 3/8" thick spacer so the wheels would fit. The are made by Lug Nut King out of billet aluminum and are hub centric:

14e9iyw.jpg

z0h13.jpg

This is where I started having problems. The RMS tubular A-arms were too wide, and not made for my specific application. At full lock, they would interfere with the UCA, not allowing me to get full turning radius:

1zlyosp.jpg

f0drh2.jpg

2vs3uhy.jpg

But more on that subject later, working with Bill at RMS, he designed different style of a-arms fixing the clearance issue...

Of course, it looked fine when it was setting on the ground:

n3qjw9.jpg

Adjusting my ride height, in Bill's terms, "Holy 4 wheel drive batman!"

2mqng9w.jpg

6jpuso.jpg

9 Inches!!! tonka truck status!!

358dkhu.jpg

Getting there....

rgw32s.jpg

2vs3uhy.jpg

And at 7 inches, still some more adjustment to be had...

14lo5rb.jpg

That's much better:

119cmdv.jpg

118pnw1.jpg

And at 5 1/2 inches from the K-frame to the ground, is the lowest I could go with the torsion bars backed off almost all the way...

xo437d.jpg

ao9ksy.jpg

20rmjyt.jpg

I have about 3/8 inch from the LCA bump stop to the bottom of the frame...I might just cut the bump stop in half if I need to...We'll see...

1625kea.jpg

34931h0.jpg

OK, back to the non-fitting A-arm dilemma....While I was waiting for Bill over at RMS to R&R the new redesigned A-arms, I thought I would order the tubular uppers from nice guy Dick over at Firm Feel to give them a try:

mw9su8.jpg

2d297yq.jpg

They are actually a very nice A-arm and come powder coated black with new bushings and cool poly UCA bump stops.

OK, here are the Firm Feel units installed, and at full lock, I have all the clearance I need! Problem solved!

s3eede.jpg

2h8255h.jpg

And at 5 1/2 inches from the K-frame to the ground, is the lowest I could go with the torsion bars backed off almost all the way...

I also have a 68 Cuda, unfortunately mine is still under a tarp due to current time and money constraints.

I used to own an Isuzu Trooper 4x4 and hang out on a forum like this.

They also use torsion bars for the front suspension and although I never had a need to do it, several members talked about having to 'reindex' the torsion bars to get the suspension where they wanted.

I'm not sure I remember the description well, but basically you would mark where it's mounted now, disconnect it, move the adjuster back to the other end of the adjustment and reconnect the bar, giving you a new increment of adjustment.

It may not be applicable here, but hopefully it might be - or spark an inspiration from someone who has spent more fiddling time than I have.

I do get jealous looking at all of you actually making progress on your cars!

Jay

Moving onto the rear suspension, I took out my old A-body 8 3/4 rear that had a 489 case 2.94 geared open diff. and small 1 3/4 drum brakes:

5y6ycz.jpg

Then I bought a 69 B-body 8 3/4 housing, axles and backing plates from a member on this site.

Disassembled and washing it all up:

a107pd.jpg

2vwhi4h.jpg

2coon82.jpg

Naturally, if you want to use a B-body rear in an A-body, you have to buy new spring perches and weld them inwards 1/2" each side:

2s9p2kj.jpg

2bsd4l.jpg

nfs804.jpg

Primed and painted, and drying in my living room because it started to rain...

362a0.jpg

In the midst of thinking about how badly I wanted a sure grip unit, one just so happened to come up for sale on this wonderful site, AND get this, it was listed for sale the same day I got my paycheck! So it was meant to be and I bought it 10 minutes after it was listed!

Here it is, a 742 case 3.55 clutch type sure grip, in my high-tech wood box I made to hold it, lol:

1zdlnyh.jpg

6sf3bq.jpg

wgt64z.jpg

OK, rebuilding the axle with new Green style bearings I got from awesome knowledgeable Mr. Cass over at Doctor Diff.

Be advised, when you use Green bearings, you must remove this adjuster button in the center section, or the axles will not properly seat:

347uve8.jpg

Here it is all assembled with new brakes, shoes, hardware, and drums:

dljfxe.jpg

jzd7o1.jpg

2vxopi1.jpg

MoparDude.......... Great thread......... I love it and thank you for taking the time to post pics and show what you did. Very cool..... and helpful!!!! :cheers:

MoparDude.......... Great thread......... I love it and thank you for taking the time to post pics and show what you did. Very cool..... and helpful!!!! :cheers:

Thank you for the nice comments! I was just bored today, and someone in the "how to fit cobra wheels on a duster" thread wanted me to make my own thread about what I had to do to make them fit, so here it is!

-
Back