'68 Cuda Fender Emblem Placement

-

CudaChick1968

Leanna ~ The Mistress of Metal
FABO Vendor
Reaction score
I looked through some threads but couldn't find anything on point. Please direct me to a link if this has been addressed before.

For reasons that may become known shortly, I'm in a bit of a rush to get a few things finished up on my car very soon. Almost 20 years in "exploded view" isn't doing me any good right now and my memory fails me.

I just need to know what's supposed to go here in this empty hole on my driver's side fender.

IMG_1610.jpg

My car is not a Formula S (at least nothing else on the car is) but the passenger side fender was from a '69 if it makes any difference. There are no empty holes on the p/s ...

IMG_1612.jpg

... but the driver's side has me stumped.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

IMG_1610.jpg

IMG_1612.jpg

Hi, I have a '68 with a 318 that I got new. Here is where the emblems go. I haven't seen your V8 emblem on a '68. Is that the way you got the car? Mike

1 Cuda front left.jpg

My 68 doesn't have that hole. Any emblem would require 2 holes.

Leanna, I will have to look around and see if I have a better picture but hat is where my 68 had the original v8 emblem mounted. Here is the only picture I can find of it now.
Carls68cuda-1.jpg

Here is the correct hole placement for the fourmula S emblem.
formulasfenderholes.jpg

Leanna,
It looks as if your missing a hole. You need one to the left of your existing one for a correct 68' V8 emblem. The emblems you have for V8 are from a 67'.

Hi, I have a '68 with a 318 that I got new. Here is where the emblems go. I haven't seen your V8 emblem on a '68. Is that the way you got the car? Mike

It was a basketcase in 1991 when I bought it. Though my dad had a few, it's my first Mopar. When I finally got it all sanded down -- 6 different paint jobs! -- my passenger side fender and door were originally bright blue and the rest of the car was F7 (??) dark green.

What's really sad is that I had it painted almost ten years ago [hanging head in shame] and am just now finding out about this now. My paint / body guy is in SoCal. We still email once in awhile but I doubt if he's going to be inclined to jump on a plane and come to my rescue. LOL

My 68 doesn't have that hole. Any emblem would require 2 holes.

That's what I was thinking too Red. I couldn't imagine what would go there.

Leanna, I will have to look around and see if I have a better picture but hat is where my 68 had the original v8 emblem mounted. Here is the only picture I can find of it now.
Carls68cuda-1.jpg

Here is the correct hole placement for the fourmula S emblem.
formulasfenderholes.jpg

Leanna,
It looks as if your missing a hole. You need one to the left of your existing one for a correct 68' V8 emblem. The emblems you have for V8 are from a 67'.

That's interesting. I've also got a Barracuda script emblem that's black with a chrome outline, and I knew that didn't come on my car.

So assuming that my [wrong year] V8 emblems go under the Cuda script, why might there be holes in the lower fenders that match up perfectly? Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! This is all not what I wanted to hear guys. LOL Hope for a quick and easy answer and the next thing I know I'm drilling holes in my fenders, welding up unneeded ones and shooting 10 year old leftover paint.

Dammit.

Thank you all for the input nonetheless. I'm blaming the general, not the messengers.

You may have had 67 fenders on there....or they were drilled fo rthose emblems. The only other thing that went in place of where a 68 V8 emblem is a fish for the slant 6 models.

Both fenders had marker lights so if anything I'd guess '69, but only the passenger side fender and door had been replaced so I always assumed the driver's side was original.

It was a 318 with a 7 1/4 from the factory.

The original motor was long gone when I bought it, and a 360 missing main and thrust bearing journal caps was in its place. It's now a hot 340 with a reverse manual, 8 3/4, Super Stock springs, etc., etc., so I'm not overly concerned about maintaining originality at this point. Maybe I can just stick a fish emblem in there. LOL

Thanks again for all the ideas!

Do you know what engine came in your car originally? If it was a slant 6, there would be the fish emblems (like the trunk) under each script. If it was a 318, then the V8 emblems like I am going to show you here.

I'm thinking someone added the lower V8 emblems. Did someone swap a V8 into a slant 6 car before you? Maybe that was their way of bragging... who knows..

Try shining a light into the hole where the hood hinge is and look for fill marks/weld marks... I bet that would clue you in on what holes may be covered up.

STRIPE.JPG

Leanna, my '68 has the same emblem as Rob has above. There are two holes for the rectangular Barracuda emblem, but they are not on the same plane, one is definitely higher than the other. My fenders are off the car. If you like, I could charge up my camera and take some pictures with measurements. Let me know.

Maybe just stick a Mopar Pentastar in the hole and have 500+ peeps tell you it's in the wrong spot.....:bootysha:. Could turn out to be a great conversation piece to "break the ice" for introducing some to your biz? :)

I hope you're getting the Cuda ready for MMW. 8)

Leanna, If it were my car I would take some real good measurements of the hole location on the driver side fender and duplicate the hole on the pass. fender, that way you wouldn't get anyone asking why the fenders are different. lol

Seriously though, you may consider having some domed emblems, about the size of theV8, made up, advertising Phoenix Spec. Coatings. Just a thought, and I know just the guy that could do it for you (not to blow my own horn). PM me if interested.

Like he said above!!!

This is what you do....find a good powdercoater....and have them powdercoat the PSC emblem! Slap it on the hole....problem solved!

;)

Aloha!

Some good suggestions there for you Leanna. Just use some 3M tape to put them on instead of drilling more holes in the fenders though.

Do you know what engine came in your car originally? If it was a slant 6, there would be the fish emblems (like the trunk) under each script. If it was a 318, then the V8 emblems like I am going to show you here.

I'm thinking someone added the lower V8 emblems. Did someone swap a V8 into a slant 6 car before you? Maybe that was their way of bragging... who knows..

Try shining a light into the hole where the hood hinge is and look for fill marks/weld marks... I bet that would clue you in on what holes may be covered up.

Leanna, my '68 has the same emblem as Rob has above. There are two holes for the rectangular Barracuda emblem, but they are not on the same plane, one is definitely higher than the other. My fenders are off the car. If you like, I could charge up my camera and take some pictures with measurements. Let me know.

I do have those too. They need to be repainted but they're in good shape. Unfortunately, their mounting studs don't match up with any holes already in the car.

Maybe just stick a Mopar Pentastar in the hole and have 500+ peeps tell you it's in the wrong spot.....:bootysha:. Could turn out to be a great conversation piece to "break the ice" for introducing some to your biz? :)

I hope you're getting the Cuda ready for MMW. 8)

LOL Cheryl! I have two or three of those in my brightwork box so I could just stick them all over the car in random spots and see if anyone noticed.

I can't really let the cat out of the bag right now but the car's getting ready for something on rather short notice, it's just not the MMW.

Leanna, If it were my car I would take some real good measurements of the hole location on the driver side fender and duplicate the hole on the pass. fender, that way you wouldn't get anyone asking why the fenders are different. lol

Seriously though, you may consider having some domed emblems, about the size of theV8, made up, advertising Phoenix Spec. Coatings. Just a thought, and I know just the guy that could do it for you (not to blow my own horn). PM me if interested.

Darwin, the guy Billy bought his old '64 Ford 2000 series tractor from said something like that when Billy asked why the front rims were different. "Well, you only see one side at a time."

I'm a bit leery about formally associating my car with the business for liability reasons. I'm not sure why, just a gut feeling it could come back to bite me in the backside some day.

Like he said above!!!

This is what you do....find a good powdercoater....and have them powdercoat the PSC emblem! Slap it on the hole....problem solved!

;)

Aloha!

So far the only advertising paraphernalia I have are vinyl decals. If I ever graduate to metal emblems, you can bet your Duster they'll be coated Mike. LOL

Some good suggestions there for you Leanna. Just use some 3M tape to put them on instead of drilling more holes in the fenders though.

Definitely!

I have a 68 in original paint, and the v8 emblem is just like the one in the white cars picture.

Thanks ta! I appreciate all the help gang. And the humor even more so ... I'd almost forgotten how much 'fun' working on my car can be.

I have a 1968 Mopar master parts manual and there is not a emblem there execpt as noted. They are correct that the V8 emblems are 1967.

Your hole looks like it may be one end of the single fish emblem used for the /6. It is too far back for the Formula S and the fish/V8 emblem.

-
Back