68 Cuda fender repair help

-

68original

Got bourbon?
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I found a great set of fenders for a 68 Barracuda, with one exception. The top mounting lip to bolt to the inner fender has been cut off (assume from rust) and replaced with flat sheet metal. Not very good work, and not completed as still has a bunch of body filler on top and underneath covering the weld areas. Every other part of the fender is solid and rust free.

Since finding these fenders in decent shape is so hard, I purchased them with the idea to remove the flat sheet metal and replace with proper metal from other Mopar fenders.

Here's the question - anybody have recommendations on what fenders will work for donor material? Am I limited to other A bodies for proper fit, or are there other bodies that would line up with the inner fender holes for bolting on? I can limit the repair work to just the mounting area, so with the hood closed you wouldn't know they've been fixed.

Hope to find some damaged, non-repairable fenders from another A body that would still have the under hood area in solid, as close to rust free, condition as possible.

Thanks in advance for any input/advice offered.

I cannot believe this I just scrap them monday rust free. Had them in my hand and one side of me was saying save them (had them for 15 years) and the other said throw them away. Sorry cleaning up my junk yard. I might still have some others.

Don't feel bad, I've got a better one for you.

On April 19,2014 I sell not one, but two fenders that were solid, top to bottom from a parts car I had to a guy in Minneapolis. Great guy, had a long conversation about Mopars when we met and made the deal.

On April 26, a scant one week later, I purchase the next project. And guess what it needs?
Yep, fenders.

I sure hope you have more fenders that could be donors.

That bolt flange for fender tops was one of the earliest reproduction pieces I saw.
At least 15 years ago. I'll assume they are still available.
I can only guess why a number of them rusted there... Leaves or pine needles filling the cracks around a closed hood.

I have a couple that I think are OK on top. Where are you located?

I have used a flange off of a 68 Dart fender to fix my Barracuda fender before.

Thanks for the help guys.

I haven't been able to locate the bolt flange aftermarket. I find complete inner fenders and the top section of the inner fender, bot not the bolt flange on the fender itself. That's why I asked what would work for donors as figured that would be the way I needed to go.

Still searching but hopeful from a couple contacts made.

Thanks FABO.

-
Back