'68 'Cuda fuel cap/door removal

-

ermarccio

Reaction score
The body shop told me they are unable to remove the fuel flip cap on my 68 Barracuda. They want to take a grinding wheel to the three bolt heads on the shiney side, but they think they may damage it. Is this a common problem? Are they over looking something? I haven't looked if a new fuel door is available yet, but thought I check here first. They're in the process of replacing the quarter skins.

Thanks!
Eric

If you have the theft proof screws you can use vice grips on the screws on the inside of the trunk. When the heads are sticking out a little you can use the vice grips on the heads from the outside. You can get the theft proof screws on ebag.

1. They use security screws - I think even harbor freight has the correct tool
2. They lids are repoped about $110 - they are not bad
3. I would try to remove it using the correct tool before grinding it off - I don't think anyone makes the correct screws...

i wouldn't grind them off....that's kind of a novice move on the shops part...if you don't have the tool, then you can unscrew them from the back with vice grips as was mentioned. if new anti-theft screws aren't available, then use a fancy stainless button head.

Thanks for the advise! I'm not able to find the special tool online. Any suggestions? I checked Harbor Freight as well. I see now in my 1968 manual it's "Tool C-4058", but that doesn't have good results in Google.

Thanks again,
Eric

I used a small blunt punch on the screw heads to break them free. Light tapping. Followed by a small needle nose plyers for final removal. Lube the screws & clean them 1st.

-
Back