68 Cuda Max radiator size ?

-

DonnieLawson

68 Barracuda
Reaction score
Im getting the Cuda ready to be stripped and sandblasted , I want to get the radiator and any mods to open up the core support done first .
Ive attached some pics , If anyone has put a large radiator in please chime in .
I would rather overkill on cooling then be boiling over on the side of the road.
68 Cuda fastback , 505 cubed, 11-1 compression Aluminum head weekend cruiser
smiley.gif

The factory opening is currently 22 1/2" wide, 19" high .
If I go frame rail to frame rail I have 28 1/2" , with an extra 3/4 " on each side if I trim the top lip of the frame rail .
Like I said , I want max cooling .

anyone ?????

Cuda Front end removed 004 resized.jpg

Cuda Front end removed 005 resized.jpg

Cuda Front end removed 009 resized.jpg

Cuda Front end removed 012 resized.jpg

Cuda Front end removed 014 resized.jpg

I have a 67 with a 440, I went with a BeCool radiator and dual 11 inch fans in a shroud. I was a bit pricey but totally took care of the issue. The set up was for an A body, no trimming needed, just drill a hole in each frame rail for the lower mounting to set in. BeCool offered it in a complete package. I can get you the part #'s if interested.
You can see pictures of it in my photo gallery.

I have a 26" in my 69 Dart, believe it's out of a Ford truck. 2" trimmed off each side can't really tell it's been enlarged.

Your set up is much like mine. I bought one of Mancini`s custom made 22" aluminum radiators and it`s been quite adequate. The core is probably 3" thick. Fan clearance is tight but I`ve never had any issues with overheating, even during Va. summers. I`ve seen guys running the 26 " radiators in the 22" spots without an issue. It may not get the full air flow but the added capacity is beneficial.

-
Back