68 Cuda P/S converting to 73 K-Member with Manual steering

-

DonnieLawson

68 Barracuda
Reaction score
Im converting my 68 Cuda with P/S to a 73 K-Member with Manual steering LBP & disk brakes.
Everything is there from the K member to the steering column except for the steering coupler .
I understand that my old one will not work , I here that its to long and incorrect shaft size .
Where can I find one ?

Thanks
Donnie

resized0023.jpg

I don't think the coupler is specifically the problem. Manual and power steering columns are different lengths. Did you say you got the 73 steering column? If so, you just need a 73 manual coupler (but I think they are all the same). If you didn't get the column you might be able to get an adapter (I forget which shaft is longer -- obviously the adapter only works if the shaft is too short, not if it's too long).

The length difference is in the steering shafts. Firm feel makes alternative couplings and , stuff. Flaming River offers some of these parts too.
There are 2 different sizes to those splined input ends of the stock box couplings. The boxes are interchangable though. You could just buy a box coupling rebuid kit and build the column you need from parts on hand.

I am switching from a 1968 K member , power steering box and steering column over to a 1973 K member complete with manual steering box , and a manual steering floor shift steering column .
I have my old power steering coupler , but there is not one on the newer manual steering unit .
Sorry if i sounded confusing ............... :)
I was thinking the 68 PS coupling wouldn't work on the newer 73 assembly

Donnie

80's dodge pickups w/power steering use the same coupler that fits on pass car manual steering boxes if you go the junkyard route.

The column is shorter on PS (because the steering box is taller). ALSO the couplers have a different diameter. I just re-read your post and saw that you are switching to MANUAL. You have the manual column but not the coupler? OK..NOW I got it!
You are right: The PS coupler is a smaller diameter on the clocking (gear teeth). The earlier post is correct. Some of the trucks used it as well. Any A/B/C manual box coupler will work as well. If you can't get one elsewhere I can sell you a used manual coupler for $20 including shipping (or bring one to Carlisle)

FWIW, I went from manual steering to power steering and it was one of the best upgrades I have made to my car. The manual steering is very slow and makes the car feel like a barge when trying to make quick manuvers on the road not to mention the PITA it is to manuver at slow speeds in a parking lot. On the other hand the power steering has a quick ratio that makes the car much lighter and more responsive at speed pluss no more thrashing in parking lots.

IMHO stay with the power steering. To get rid of the vage feeling of the power steering have the box rebuilt by Firm Feel or for much less money use offset upper control arm bushings that will allow you to crank in more positive camber.

-
Back