68 cuda restoration

-

jmcherry

Reaction score
I have a 68 cuda that I'm getting ready to restore, I have been throwing the idea of either keeping her original or just upgrading her to a street rod. Right now I have a 225 slant 6 thats in rough shape and the brakes are shot. Everything is original and the body is in good shape except the trunk bed which has a big hole in it. I'll eventually put a new trunk pan in but I'd like to work on the mechanics first. I'm looking at replacing the slant 6 with a 383, if I go that route I'll have to upgrade everything and that'll get pricey fast. I could just drop a fresh 225 in and just revamp the transmission, this would be a lot cheaper but I would like to put some larger teeth in this fish. What do you think out there? Stay original cream puff or just go ahead and make the move toward more muscle?

Rod it, I did mine and is a blast to drive. Mine was a slant six auto, now has a 360 727. Just have fun with it.

Attachments

• 011.jpg-1.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 160
  • 038.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 155
I'm throwing out another vote for the resto-mod, but it's your car and ultimately your call. Mine was a rust-free $250 POS basketcase when I bought it in April of 1991 and the original 318 was long gone.

View attachment April 9, 1991 2.jpg

View attachment April 9, 1991.jpg

I built it the way I wanted: Fast, safe and fun to drive.

View attachment Cuda in Exploded View.jpg

View attachment Roof sanding.jpg

Though I still have more to do to it even after 22+ years of ownership (the press of business means I work on everybody else's stuff instead of my own lol), it means as much to me as a first born child and some day someone will have to pry the keys from my cold dead fingers. :-D

View attachment August 19, 2010 - 1000 x 768.jpg

View attachment Passenger front close up.jpg

View attachment Shop reflection.jpg

Welcome to FABO! You'll love it around here. :-D

i'd fix the brakes and get another slant in there just to get it going again then start saving for your v-8 swap either small or big. those slants are pretty tuff along with there drivetrains. and cheap to repair also gas station friendly. I think this way you can enjoy it and be able to get all of your drivetrain pieces in advance

-
Back