68 Dart 270- Pro Street 500 cubes.

-
Well tonight I learned a little about myself,
(I'm not as good as I thought I was!) :tard:
I have never done a ladder bar rear but I thought that I could do it on my own. (wrong!) After hours of hanging a plumb bob, measuring, marking to floor, ect I finally got it through my thick head that it needs to be done right the first time!
I decided that I will ask for some help on the install. I got a bud of mine that is offering his knowledge & skills.:cheers::prayer:

Well tonight I learned a little about myself,
(I'm not as good as I thought I was!) :tard:
I have never done a ladder bar rear but I thought that I could do it on my own. (wrong!) After hours of hanging a plumb bob, measuring, marking to floor, ect I finally got it through my thick head that it needs to be done right the first time!
I decided that I will ask for some help on the install. I got a bud of mine that is offering his knowledge & skills.:cheers::prayer:

Yep,

Got to get a vehicle center line, then draw perpendiculars off that line to get everything square.

Good luck with it. Cool looking car.

Yep,

Got to get a vehicle center line, then draw perpendiculars off that line to get everything square.

Good luck with it. Cool looking car.

Thanks for the comment crackedback. I've got the worst headache ever tonight!!! :banghead:

Thanks for the comment crackedback. I've got the worst headache ever tonight!!! :banghead:

Not my favorite thing to do either... especially when the car isn't up high enough to move under comfortably.

Have fun with it!

Glad to hear you got your car back!! Looks Great (besides the hammer dents). Keep up the good work you are doing it will pay off. I like to look of it.

It's kinda hard to see just how it looks or is going to look w/the narrowed rear installed at the moment.
My garage is not very wide but its long enough for 2 cars.
Maybe Santa will build me a shop someday.

(PS. Santa, if your reading this I would like a 40x30) :rolleyes:

DSC00158.jpg

JoeMc, I've looked for some photos of your Duster & cant seem to find any, Hey if she (your duster) keeps screaming at you, I have some small block parts that would difinitly make her scream at you that I'm (thinking about selling):

Overrever, I don't have any pictures of my Duster on this site. I dug one up on my PC and posted below. This picture is before I sold it to my buddy, like vintage 85. I should really take a few pictures of it how it is now, embarrassing as it looks, it sits in my 1 car very tight garage with so much stuff piled on, around and under it you can barely tell there's a car lurking beneath. I'll save that picture for the thread I'll start when I get going on the car.

Sounds like some great parts. I'm so far off from needing mechanical stuff, I need to get the structure sound first; new full floor installed, connectors, mini or full tubs (not sure yet), probably lower quarter patches and trunk risers at least. The engine is a 360 I got out of a salvage yard shortly after I got the car - due to a mishap between the flywheel and a railroad track at slow speed = broke crankshaft on the non-original engine that was in it (another 360) when I first got it. Anyway the salvage yard 360 had about 60k on in and was from a 76, or so, Cordoba that was super clean but demolished rear half - looked like it was slammed hard by a truck. I stuck the Weiand dual plane, headers, Holley and etc off the other engine and it ran supper sweet. Sold it to my buddy and he did a rebuild going 0.030, 10.5-1 flat-tops, purple stick, new valves, springs etc. I heard it run and drove it once after he rebuilt it, it was pretty sweet. So, I'm OK for now with mechanicals except the need for a rear - there's a rear from a salvage yard taxi cab (I think it came out of a 4 door Dart) when the non-original rear that was in it went on me = needed something to get it on the road with. My plan is to get the structure sound, tub it, connect it, get a 9" Ford rear and then get what I have running. Drive it around and work the bugs out, take it to the 1/4 and wring the living snot out of it - eventually going over to a 440 once the 360 bites the dust. Anyway, it's a plan.

I hope to get started this Spring = open the can-o-worms and see what I have to work with.

Happy Holidays to all.

Duster 73.jpg

Joe Mc, Sounds like a great plan to me. Your Duster looks sweet. I love the color combo! You said you need a rear end for your car, do you mean the gears or the whole rear end assm? I just got rid of a 3.55 Sure Grip set up. Hopefully the taxi will have what you need. I know the feeling of working on cars in a tight spot, But I'm sure that if I had more space I would fill it with more parts/a car or something.

Thanks, I like it because I bought it from the widow of my friend who died back in 78 or 79, and was darn happy to get it back in 95 from my Navy buddy that I sold it to in 86. Its a unique car as its a 4 speed, bench seat, black interior, power steering & brakes and no carpet = full front and rear rubber floor covers car. The rubber floor covers are shot, I haven't seen them being reproduced and doubt they ever will be. Probably doesn't matter as the car will more than likely be strip mostly, some street - I'll probably end up putting carpet in it - who knows maybe there's an "new old stock" cover set out there somewhere?

Oh, the rear from the taxi was one I installed back in like 84 before I sold it. When I bought it back from my buddy he told me the rear was bad, no big surprise as odometer on the car it came out read 50k and I'm sure it had turned over at least once. That's why I'm going to put in a 9" Ford rear, they're an easier find than a good Mopar unit and darn bullet proof so it will stand up to the 360 and what ever comes afterwards.

It's been a while sence I've posted but I finally got the ladder bar coil over set up in the car & welded it up! It took me alot of second guessing/measuring to actuly get the rear welded in but it is installed. It looks like it sets a little to high for my liking because of the fenders being cut but I will have to learn to like it. I may just weld some fenders back on it next year. I was thinking about mounting the coilovers in front of the rear end housing but I didnt, that would have made it lower.

Hell I've had my narrowed rear for a for over a year now, Thinking all this time it was a 4.56 at least that what I was told, anyway I thought that I had checked the ratio but I must have failed to do so. When I finnaly took it apart I was shocked to see what gear it had in it, 5.13's I hope that it wont be too much for the 1/8 mile. I do have another 8 3/4 set up w/ 4.56 in it & another that has 3.91's so I can go that route.

I had my cast iron heads flowed, they went 270 CFM IN @ .700 & 210 CFM @ .700. I guess thats ok for a set mildly ported 452's.w/ 2.19 IN & 1.810 EX vavles in them. Actuly the intake & exhaust runners have only been gasket mached so I think theres a little bit more CFM left in them. I sold my RPM Edelbrocks becuase I need some money for bills ect. But I have also just bought a set of bear casting Procomp CYL heads. I am aware that they might be a stolen disign & cast in China, But for the money I got them for it was to good to pass.

( I PAID $600.00 FOR A SET OF BARE CASTINGS! 72 CC 280CC IN 80CC EX) They flow as cat 295CFM iN & 240CFM EX. I also bought a set of Manley Valves 2.250 In #11850 & 1.810 Ex #11813 . I bought the heads from the (Procomp overstock store on Ebay). I made an offer & now I have set of heads. I've heard all kinds of horror about the rockers but I did some searching & talking to (Tim @ Hughes Engines) he said that they are good heads & has heard nothing bad about the heads, He said that he can get them to flow 350CFM after CNC porting but it cost $900.00.
I also talked to Rob @ Midwest Performance Products, 402-329-8740 out of Diller Nebraska. He said that he has done about 50 or so of these heads & hand ports them to flow 325CFM @ .600 for $500.00
Anyone out there have set of these heads that they have been running?

Anyway, now it might not be so much as a Pro Street Car vrs being a all out Drag Car. With the new heads, it has 12.5 compression, race fuel cost MEGA DOLLARS PER GALLON. I guess I will have to wait & see for myself.
I hoping w/ the new CYL heads it will make at least 600HP.
My camera broke so I dont have any photos at this time but they will come soon.
Heres a little infor on the car:

The car is a 68 dart aproximatly 3250 lbs with driver.
727, 3500 stall, 4.56 gear w/ 29.5x13.50 Quick Time Pro slicks.
499 ci, 3.750x4.150, w/6.763 rod length
Crowe racing 950 dp carb
Edelbrock Victor Intake manifold - SOON TO BE MOUNTED
Procomp CYL Heads 72 CC, 290 CFM as cast, 350 CFM after CNC Porting.
Manley valves 2.250 IN, 1.810 EX
Compcams Springs # 943-550 LBS open pressure, retainers, keepers
Compcam 283R-8 .660 Lift In & Ex,
Dur 283 In 291 Ex
Dur @ .50 255 In 263 Ex
intake centerline 108
3500/6500 RPM range.
Compcams roller lifters
Smith Bro Push Rods
Hughes Engines Offset Roller Rockers- SOON TO BE MOUNTED
SRP flat top pistons # 213459 12.5-1 w/72cc heads
RPM International crank 4.150 stroke nitride 4130 crankshaft
RPM International H Beam Pro Series Rods 6.763
2" CPPA Under Chassis Headers, w/2"x3-1/2" Flowmaster Scavenger Collectors,
X-Pipe, 3 1/2" Ex w/ Hooker Aero Chamber Mufflers

Do u know the BS of those wheels? I have a 68 dart thats is mini tubbed and leafs relocated.. stock lenght 8.75...I'm looking for a 15x10" wheel under it...I just dont know what BS to get.
washdart2.jpg

washdart1.jpg

You are gonna need 7.5 inch of backspacing.
I know weld Draglites fit in there the best, but i'm not sure what other wheels are available with that deep of a backspace.

I have a stock length A body rear end, mini tubbed with springs relocated.
15x10 weld draglites with 7.5 inch backspace, M/T sportsman pro tires 29x15x12.5.

I did alot of research on that one and found the concensus to be exactly hwat I got.
Luckily a friend of mine had a 67 dart with the exact wheels and tires to try out on my car, and it fit perfectly.

The only thing was I had to have the forward portion of the wheel opening massaged 1.5 inches forward for taller tire clearance.
This required some sweet body skills from my buddy because I wanted it to look stock and not have the sawzall look to it.

My wheels are 15x10 & have a 3 1/2 \BS The rear end is narrowed to 48"

I found another thing wrong with the engine as I was reasembiling it, the rods were mounted on the pistons backwards. I cant say any thing good about the people who built this engine. So now I really can atleast say that everything that they bolted to the block was F-ed up. Do not use them: (Barret Racing Engines) This engine was a $7000.00 boat ankor!! If it would have been finished & ever started it would have been forsure. I will say one thing I guees is OK about their work, the 452's that they ported flowed 270 CFM @ .700.
Anyway I got some new Procomp CYL heads for the engine. I shot a few photo's of them w/ a cell phone camera so they are not very clear.
So far I see 2 things that are a small issue about the In/EX seats. The IN port has a little of the bowl casting that is not covered buy the seat, air fows over this so it not like it is hitting a wall. same thing with the EX seat only it's reversed the casting in the bowl doesnt cover all of the bottom of the seat. Again air flows over this and not against it.
I set the Procomps side by side w/ the RPMs & the Procomps look like the IN/EX ports will flow alot more air, less obstructions in the ports as cast. They are definatly bigger. Mayby perhaps they went consevative on there flow rating. The Procomps as cast are rated 295CFM @ .600 & the RPM's are rated 291 CFM @ .600.
The only other thing is the distributor side head wil need a little clearancing to mount the distributor, but I had to do that with my factory casting too so its not that bad of a head so far. They did aleast go down on the dowels with no problems.
Now to spend so more hard earned money on the rest of the valvetrain & a new intake

0306101123-04.jpg

0306101123-03.jpg

0306101123-01.jpg

0306101123-02.jpg

0306101124-01.jpg

0306101124-00.jpg

0306101127-00.jpg

0306101123-00.jpg

0306101137-00.jpg

first thing you need to do is get that GM hood off that MOPAR but other than that it looks great

Hey Wylde1 I've seen your awesome Demon. It looks pretty mean/evil.
I would think that if you get a narrowed rear under it will look like Satan himself would want to own it!!
Yeah the http://www.katt.com/ rocks thats for sure!! I remember the day in 1976 when I was 8 yrs old when they came on the air. The first song they played was Pink Foyed: Comfortably Numb. I've been a listener ever since that day!!!:cheers:

Yeah X2 on Wylde1s Demon. That car captures the "dont f&ck with me" attitude of a mean street car.

-
Back