68 dart alt upgrade also a ?? on headlights

-

Dakota_Don

Reaction score
Hi, i would like to add a better alt on my V8 68 dart. is there a better bolt on, like a 90 amp alt?

I also would like to add H4 type headlights if posible. will I need a relay setup to pwr these head lights?

68dart small.jpg

just the relay setup done before the alternator will improve the lights alone. imo, you don't need 90 amp unless you have a big stereo and all power accessories.

Like redfastback stated the relay setup would help even without the alt upgrade. Its actually a good thing to do on just about any car. You can find quite a few of the H4 conversions on Egag. Normally less than $40.

Hi, i would like to add a better alt on my V8 68 dart. is there a better bolt on, like a 90 amp alt?

I also would like to add H4 type headlights if posible. will I need a relay setup to pwr these head lights?

Never add a high power - high amp alternator without also upgrading the front engine wiring harness, and doing the alternator field hookup - interior voltage regulator bypass re-wiring--- i.e. adding a heavy gauge wire directly from the alternator output to the starter relay and/or the battery positive terminal. Adding relays is also great advice.

The wiring on your car is not up to modern standards, is likely old, likely brittle and would require an upgrade to handle a 90 amp alternator. When these cars were new in 1968 - 71, the most heavy duty alternator available from the factory was about 60 amps. Moving to a 90 amp alternator is not advisable and will be beyond the wiring's limitations.

In summary upgrade the wiring harnesses first before you go to a high powered alternator.

i planned on the wiring upgrade also.. i do plan on adding an electric fan, a/c better headlights and radio.. pwr brakes and sterring and maybe EFI. but if i do the upgrade id like and alt that would bolt right in.. I am not sure if the mopar alt (75 amp) would be enough, so I would like a 90 amp..

is there anyone that makes a 90 amp in a mopar case?

you need to add up all your amp draws and figure if you have a good buffer zone. how much music? that will determine alot.

-
Back