68 Dart convertible rusty rocker and gotcha's

-

etngeorge

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Looking at 68 dart, rust in rocker in front of rear wheel. Know convertibles are different. What should I look for differently from a hardtop to avoid a big surprise. Thanks

That is a common place for rust. It's caused by the drip rail under the back of the top draining into this area and the drain holes being plugged...This was my GTS in 1983.
img190 25 percent.jpg

Climb in the trunk and check the drain gutter, where the top hooks to the body. You'll be able to see the bottom of the gutter, run your hand in the top side. Any other rust from leaks should be visible in the trunk. Also check the top of the quarters by the top trim. This area is common to bondo filling.

Does anybody have a picture of what is behind the outer skin in that area?
Is there an inner box section that we need to be careful about cutting into?
I have a repair section for that area but I'm not sure how far up I need to cut.

Does anybody have a picture of what is behind the outer skin in that area?
Is there an inner box section that we need to be careful about cutting into?
I have a repair section for that area but I'm not sure how far up I need to cut.
Where you see the rust is just the outer skin ( some quarter. Maybe some rocker). Mine was much worse and the inner was still solid. Will shoot a pic or dig one out of my photobucket when I get home tonight

Where you see the rust is just the outer skin ( some quarter. Maybe some rocker). Mine was much worse and the inner was still solid. Will shoot a pic or dig one out of my photobucket when I get home tonight
Thanks Dude!
That would be great.

If you look at this you can see how fat the quarter went. There is a lead seam to melt out so you can just remove the quarter pane part that is rusted. As you can see the rocker underneath was still solid. After removing the quarter I sandblasted the area and only had some minor pitting in the rocker

-
Back