68 Dart fuel and temp gauge not working

-

1968 Dart 270

Reaction score
I have a 68 Dart 270. The fuel and temp gauges dont work but everything else does. It was like that when I bought it. Right now it has an aftermarket temp gauge mounted under the dash that works but I'd like to get the original fuel and gas gauges working again. Is this common problem on these cars?

Last edited:
The fuel and gas gauges dont work but everything else does.
I take it that you mean the fuel and temperature gauges...
There's a million and one posts on this- you need to go to the particular technical forum that pertains to your problem (in this case, Electrical and Ignition), click on "Search" in the upper right hand corner of the page, type in your search parameters, select "This Forum", and enter.
Sample results:
ELEC--temp and fuel gauge out!! Help
1968 barracuda temp gauge and fuel level inop
how to bench test a 70 Dart instrument cluster?
Need help with fuel gauge not working?
It's most likely that your IVR (Instrument Voltage Regulator) has gone bad, but there can be other issues that pop up. Too much that has already been said that I don't have the time to reiterate here. Read up and pop back in with any questions that you may come up with!

Prof.Fate, Yes I apologize for the mistake. It should have been fuel and temperature. I have corrected it. Sorry for asking a question that has already been covered before. Like I said I just joined so I figured it was ok to ask. I'll try the search feature you mentioned. Obviously if this has been brought up a million times before I'm not the first person to have this problem or the first not to search the past threads first. Thanks for you help

Not a problem at all- everyone here is happy to help. Never be afraid to ask questions!
I just brought up the search process because I knew you were new, and there's a lot of information available on this site- it just can be a bit tricky at times to uncover some of it!
:welcome:

Not a problem at all- everyone here is happy to help. Never be afraid to ask questions!
I just brought up the search process because I knew you were new, and there's a lot of information available on this site- it just can be a bit tricky at times to uncover some of it!
:welcome:

Thanks,I appreciate it.

Sounds like "voltage limiter"...Right?

If the cluster is out, you can check out the gages by connecting 3 "D" cell battery's in series.

Basically what I do is remove the bolts at the floor plate for the column, remove the clamp bolts under the dash after removing the small trim piece, and of course disconnect batt. ground. If you have a column shifter you may have to argue with that and readjust the linkage, afterwards. Lay the column in the seat

Remove trim screws, "fold" the column over face down slowly and reach in and undue speedo cable. You may have to do this by reaching up from bottom beforehand. Then carefully get enough out that you can unbolt the ammeter wires, which are the only two "nut" connected, large red and large black. then go from there, work it out and "hinge" it face down until you can reach the harness connector, and lift it up and out.

If you don't have one, run over to MyMopar.com and download a free service manual.

Common problems:

Voltage limiter. Buy a RTE solid state one
Bad connections between limiter contact fingers (if this is not a Ralleye dash) and the PC board traces. Solder jumpers across

Bad connections at gauge stud nuts. Loosen/ tighten nuts several times to "scrub" the connections clean, and consider replacing nuts

Solder around base of harness pins after cleaning, inspect for damage.

The electrical "path" for the gauges is ignition switch----harness connector pin----to voltage limiter---branch off and PC board trace feeds power to each gauge. Through each gauge, then back on traces to harness connector pins, and out to senders. Fuel gauge goes down to left kick panel connector, out to fuel tank, temp goes through a terminal in the bulkhead connector and out to temp sender

You can use resistors or a variable / rheostat to generate proper test resistances to check gague accuracy.
c-3826-jpg-jpg-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks "67Dart" for the tips and the link to the free manual. Just bought a manual off ebay but it will take a while to get here

Thanks. Wander around MyMopar a bit. They have parts manuals for some years. Those things are hell to navigate, but there's a lot in them. Some years are terribly poorly scanned, tho.

-
Back