68 Dart glove box door doesn't like to open

-

zhandfull

Reaction score
My glove box doesn't open when I push the button. The latch seems to work properly and releases but I have to use a key or something to pull the door open as im pushing the button. Is something suppose to push the door out as the latch releases?

Are the rubber bumpers in place? It may be closing to far. The hinge is spring loaded to assist closing the door, maybe some lube on the hinge would help out a little.

There is a couple small bumper on there. Latch seems fine it opens all the way to release but pushing on the button doesn't allow the door to open as the latch is disengaged.

Could the button be bad like you push once to open and push again to lock?
Right now it only unlatches as you push on it. You can see by the picture there is no where to pull on the door as your pushing the button.

Attachments

• 68 Dart 088.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 68 Dart 089.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 111
You have to adjust the catch BACK a little farther. Idea being you have to close it harder in order for it to latch, and then it will be under "load" when closed. Once you push the button it will want to pop open.
I would suggest replacing the rubber bumpers first, but if you want it working now, then adjust the catch.

George

You have to adjust the catch BACK a little farther. Idea being you have to close it harder in order for it to latch, and then it will be under "load" when closed. Once you push the button it will want to pop open.
I would suggest replacing the rubber bumpers first, but if you want it working now, then adjust the catch.

George

That makes sense, I have adjusted the catch some. Maybe the bumpers are just hard and not doing the job.

I had the same problem 3 weekssss ago you need to lube the push button work for me.Open the door spray a little lube in, there are like 2 small openings to get at then push the button in and out a few times.

I have the exact same problem on my Dart. It's been this way for years, I've just been able to live with it. In order for my door to open, I have to use 2 hands. One on the button, and the other on the right edge of the glove box door. I have to apply pressure from the right edge of the door and move it to the left using my right hand to get it to open. I've got it down to an art form, but i have to be practically laying down on my side for it to work.

Thanks for the advice, Snake. I will give that a try.

I have to apply pressure from the right edge of the door and move it to the left using my right hand to get it to open. I've got it down to an art form, but i have to be practically laying down on my side for it to work.

That was me this morning trying to get my insurance and registration out for the CHP. I'm thinking it's just the rubber bumper and the adjustment. My button seems to work as it should.

-
Back