68 Dart GTS

-

Craig NY

Reaction score
Well my mechanic gets a call today from someone responding to his ad about working on muscle cars, and he knows that im fishing for a Mopar, and being a big Mopar guy himself he just figured that he would give the guy my number, even though this story seems a little fishy, you guys tell me.
So my phone rings and the guy tells me how he got my number, and asks me if id be interested in a 68 Dart GTS, now he tells me that someone in his family has the car in Mexico and he is gonna have it transported here to New York where he lives. He said that the car is all original but that the car has a 318, which set off an alarm, cause i thought and so did my mech that GTS were only 340 or 383 for 68, but the guy stated that cars that were exported were outfitted with the 318. Is that BS? Any way he asks me what I think the car is worth, ans if its cost effective to go through with the paperwork and cost of getting it here from Mexico. So i tell him that i wasant really looking for a Dart, and not really sure the worth, since i dont know the condition, he said that the car is in good cond, and he would paint it if the buyer chose...well whatever, i said send me some pics in the email, and who knows, if it was cherry, get it here to NY and well see. Sounds like a scam? Dunno, but i figured you guys could weigh in and tell me if this sounds foul and if there was ever a 318 GTS?

The mexican cars can be much different than the US versions so I would not be a bit surprized if they had a 318 in a GTS. In Mexico they have Superbee a-bodys and they also have a newer body style ('94 up) Ramchargers.

Chuck

I know of one 68 Mexican GTS with a 318, factory. It's even got funky 318 fender emblems. It also has a Barracuda dash that's also factory.

Jim Lusk said:
I know of one 68 Mexican GTS with a 318, factory. It's even got funky 318 fender emblems. It also has a Barracuda dash that's also factory.
So i guess its possible? Still havent gotten any pics yet, ill post if i do

-
Back