68 dart headliner..

-

JeepJimmy

Reaction score
any tricks or tips to installing the headliner in our 68 dodge dart project. which glue you guys use?? i think i want to try contact cement? thanks Jim

I haven't done a headliner in an older car yet but i have done a few in newer models. 3m has two types of spray glue. 1 is General adhesive and the other is a super adhesive. The general one is the one to use. the super would bleed through almost any fabric i tried(suede, vinyl, cloth etc...). The general has worked fine and have yet to have any sagging in any of the cars i have done.

Hi, I installed my own headliner in my 70' Dart. I bought my headliner from "Yearone" and I used general contact cement from my local hardware store which was recommended by Yearone to use and it worked great.

The main thing on install is don't try to pull the headliner tight when installing, just pull it snug to the front and back and then snug to the sides. You will need U clips for the side when you pull the sides put your contact cement on and clip to the lip. After it's all up the secret is "HEAT". A steamer is best but you can use a heat gun if your careful. If you use a heat gun hold your hand between the gun and your liner to make sure you don't burn it and if you use a heat gun you will need an old sprayer like a windex bottle or something to keep spraying on your liner as you are drying it. I used a hand steamer and it takes about 3 hours to completely steam the entire liner to have no wrinkles or stress lines.

My liner was the first one I ever done and when I had my car appraised the guy couldn't believe how great it come out. He thought it was installed professionally. Good luck, Dave!!!!!!!!!!!

Be sure you attach the headliner to the two wires that are located at the back of the roof panel. These keep the headliner in position and taught as you work your way to the front of the car pulling sightly against them and then after the front is attached at the barbs at the windshield then go back and finish attaching the rear material to the barbs located at the rear of the roof panel.

Worst mistake is marking the backside with a Sharpie or any ink pin.It will bleed through. Use chalk to mark general locations of dome lamp , sunvisors etc.. Hopefully you still have the original but it aint an absolute must have.
The little pocket like places where the bows end are 'V' shaped. This allows you to start at the back as stated before and pull the linner forward to 'umbrella' it up as you go forward.
If you'll get a piece of door edge guard and cut it into 2 inch pieces they will serve as handy little pins along the sides. It doesn't interfere with the trim either so you can just leave them there.
Even with the seats and stuff out of the car it aint easy. Dont forget to cover those floor hooks where rear seat bottom attaches. They will hurt you !
Good luck

-
Back